Painful Truth

▪︎ Normal POV ▪︎

Her world was spinning.

People were talking but she couldn't hear them.

She had her glasses on but couldn't see.

She felt someone pulling her, but she couldn't move.

All she could do was stand and listen to the ringing in her ears.

She could make out the blurry figure of someone, young with curly hair.
The person grabbed her by the shoulders and was speaking.
" MAMÃ!," The voice shouted.

She knew that voice.

It was her daughter's voice.

Slowly everything became clearer, and the image of her daughter came into focus.
" Mamã can you hear me? Mamã?" Dolores's voice hit her ears like an enchanted melody, so soft and sweet like honey.
Blinking away the remaining blurriness, Mirabel scanned her surroundings.

She was still on the main floor, Casita moving tiles around her feet and Carmelita rubbing against her leg to comfort.

Her cheeks were wet from tears she didn't know began to fall.
Arms were wrapped around her and she was pulled to a broad chest.
" Breath mi vida, breath, I'm here, I'm here" Gabriel's voice reached her ears, which caused her to wrap her arms around him, tremors racing through her body.
" Look at what you've done! Get out of our home! Hey! Don't talk to my granddaughters! Get out!,"  Samuel's voice boomed, which caused her to jump in fright.

Never had she heard him yell like that, ever since her first day in the village, he never raised his voice to her, at all, and never raised it at any of the girls.

So this was slightly terrifying.

Hiding her face in Gabriel's chest, Mirabel allowed herself to disappear into her mind.
Memories came flooding back to her.

The times she, from 5 to 15 years old, would sit in Tia Pepa or Tio Felix's laps, listening to whatever stories or drama they had heard that day.
How they would rock her and tell her how much they loved her.

The times were she and Camilo would sneak off from chores to play or see their lovers.
How she gave him whatever food she couldn't finish or want, or all the sleepovers they had.

The times she and Dolores would gossip for hours every day.
And the time she switched from blue to yellow for a day, even going as far as to wear a big bow like Dolores, all in secret of course.
How they would have their own sister times and sleepovers.

All the times she and Antonio would play for hours on end, never wanting to stop.
All the hugs and bedtime stories.

She missed them.

She missed all those times.

If she was honest, she missed the time with her actual family too.
But they had proven they were too busy for her, it didn't matter anyway.

Pepa and her family made up for it.

Allowing herself to leave the safety of her mind, slowly the woman opened her eyes, finding herself back in the kitchen with her beloved.
" Mira, are you alright now? I'm so sorry, this whole thing is out of control. " Gabriel asked while holding her face gently, worry darting his face.
" N...no, I'm alright, we knew this was coming, I knew, it's about time I finish this." With her head high, Mirabel slowly made her way back to the main floor.