To College Or To Not College

Start from the beginning

Thunder crashed outside her window, startling her back to reality. She looked behind her and saw Bria peacefully sleeping in her bed across the room. I'm going to escape tonight, and leave this madhouse of a place behind, she thought as the window squeaked open. Her hands slowly moved down the black steel fire escape until her feet finally touched the dew-covered grass. She ran until she reached the fence. Climbing the cold metal gate stung her palms, and the chilly air felt as if it were piercing through her soul, but she didn't care.

At last, her shoes squeaked slightly as they landed on the pavement.

Finally. Freedom.

Luz breathed out a sigh of relief. The day had been fun yet exhausting, and she was ready to collapse. In fact, that's just what she did, straight onto her dorm room bed. "How was the glyph class?" Amity asked. Luz replied, "It was fun, especially with King helping out, but it doesn't really have a curriculum because glyphs are a very new thing and we only have the light glyph so far. I'm just glad Salty is the actual teacher, because King's not mature enough to actually teach a college class." Amity nodded in agreement. "Dell, Eda's father, brought us into the forest to plant Palistrom seeds. Apparently, the trees are facing deforestation because of the amount of wood harvested to carve palismans each year."

Amity frowned "Oh, that's not good." "He's leading a conservation project to cut down the harvesting of palistrom trees so they can grow back and be more responsibly used." "I hope it works. There's been quite an inflation problem over the years because of the palistrom shortage." Luz nodded, and asked, "How were your classes?" "Bump basically reveiwed the basics of abomination magic, but half the time he was going on and on about how Eda was such a struggle in school, and now she's teaching one." Luz laughed.

She did wonder how Eda, who used to hate school, ended up dedicating her career to it. She and Raine had wedded a few months ago, shortly after Raine earned a degree in witch biology. Eda took the reins of the college from one of Camila's friends from book club named Mildred, a human who had moved to the Demon Realm for a while, and then decided to go back to Gravesfeild to pursue writing books. Luz had heard from her mom that after a few months of lost contact, they got back in touch and were talking again.

Luz realized she hadn't been listening to Amity and focused back on her girlfriend. "Anyway, plant class was fun. Me and Willow managed to get seats next to each other and you will not BELEIVE who teaches Plant Class." Luz's eyebrows rose. "Who, Terra?! I thought she was retired because she couldn't get a job with such a bad reputation." Amity shook her head. "No, she started a flower shop. I heard she sneaks Venus Die-Traps into some bouquets, and well, that never ends well. Eda's mom Gwendolyn, at the crystal shop around that block buys them, though." Luz shook her head. Really? "Who teaches it, then?" Amity groaned, "MY MOM!"

Luz gasped "NO!" "You know what, I'm just sleeping into the other dorm." Both Luz and Amity jumped. They had forgotten Mattholomule was staying in their dorms for a couple days while him and Gus worked out the purchase of their new apartment. "That's fine. Jeez, you startled me." Their dorm was really two dorms, because it had two connected rooms with one bathroom, two beds in each room. Mattholomule got up and went to the other room. Luz focused her attention back to Amity. "But like, how did your MOM get the job? She's an oracle!" Amity made a grumpy expression. "I think she bribed Quill into giving her the job. When she divorced my dad back in spring, she took most of the fortune. My dad kept the manor and custody of me and the twins, but he's selling at least half the property. We don't need that much land for just the four of us. We still have enough money to live a good middle class life, but it'll take months of my dad working himself to the bone to get us economically stable."