29

Over the next few weeks, things had changed for the Titans. The boys were getting special treatment wherever they went, and never-ending praise. I was elated that they were finally getting the recognition they deserved, and I was especially happy that a lot of the white people in town seemed to treat the coloured community way better than they had done before.

Restaurants had allowed us to eat free, and we'd been allowed to take part in fundraisers, like smashing up an old car for a charity event.

Alexandria sure was proud of their Titans.

After cheer practice one day, I remembered my video camera was sitting on the bench in the guy's changing room. I'd been using it a lot to capture memories of this year, and so far I'd used up tons of film.

I picked up the camera, and flipped it through, laughing as a video of Alan flexing his muscles in the mirror appeared on the screen. He was such a poser. Next was a clip of Ronnie teaching Blue some of his martial arts skills, followed by a video of Julius and Petey, in the hall. There was a lot of clips of the boys stuffing their faces in restaurants that offered us free food, and a lot more of the guys and I messing around. I giggled to myself at a video of Rev and Louie smashing up a car fora charity event, they were the two I'd least expect to trash something.

There was a few videos from some of our previous games, and some clips of the boys hanging signs up around town, which had me laughing loudly, because one of the boys fell off the ladder. A clip of Julius and Gerry winning an award popped up, making me swell with pride.

There was a video I hadn't seen before, one filmed by Petey, which showed me during one of our cheer routines at the Groveton game. The camera moved, zooming in on Alan, who watched me adoringly, pride and love evident on his face.

There was another clip of the cheer team dancing along with the guys, which I had instigated, since Petey was too shy to approach one of the girls he liked from the squad.

I laughed, watching a video of a diner that had put up a 'Titans eat free' sign, which had been taken down after a waffle eating competition between Blue and Gerry.

The last video was of Alan and I, making out in the shower room, away from the guys, who had been getting changed. I remembered this moment, Ronnie and Petey had found my camera, and had called over a big group of the guys, zooming in on us with it. I watched myself flip them off and cover the camera with my hand, and the complication of videos ended.

~~~~~~~~~

Coach, Sheryl and I had to attend the Hall of Fame nominee ceremony, and I decided to bring Alan along as my plus one. He wasn't sure whether he wanted to go, just in case Fred was there, but I had forced him to, knowing that it was better than him being cooped up home alone.

He'd been living with us for a while now, and I'd given him some room in my wardrobe, and even let him decorate a section of my room. He knew that it was a big deal, because I was very particular about the layout of my room.

I sat at a circular table in the hall, surrounded by football coaches and their families from all around the state. I wore an off the shoulder green maxi dress, with a floral print, and heels. Alan looked very handsome in his shirt and tie, and I'd told him so nonstop all evening. I was over the moon, because I'd managed to talk Sheryl into wearing a dress, which she hadn't done in years.

"We are here tonight to honour men, that are teaching our young people leadership on and off the field, and high moral standards as well." The presenter of the meeting announced, stood up on stage. "Ladies and gentlemen, let me introduce to you, the 1971 Hall of Fame nominees."

Coach stood from his chair, like the other nominees, and smiled down at me as I squeezed his hand. Sheryl stood up on her chair, wrapping her arms around him.