Seventeen point five|17.5

Start from the beginning

All the progress he had made, and he threw it away all for a lie. He had lied that he was fine for a very long time. The demon was getting sick of not tasting blood. His sanity was strong to let him stand strong, but his body worked with its natural demonic urges. The marechi was just the catalyst that tipped him over the edge when he least expected it.

It was common sense to think that the curse influenced him, but could he really blame the curse for losing control over marechi? Could he blame the curse for hurting [Name]?

When they left the camp they nearly destroyed after the safe delivery, Kokushibou was ready for it all. He expected her to be upset and scold him, maybe a few punches and stabs here and there. The black and red haired demon was anticipating something. Anything. Yet, all he got...was silence.

[Name] did not spare a single glance at him, acting as if she was walking alone. Her left arm was not bleeding as much, but the bite mark had not healed. At first, Kokushibou thought that she had exhausted her energy and would heal it later on. After some time, the Uppermoon realised she was choosing not to heal.

'Don't you feel pain?' He wanted to ask, but he thought better of it. Who was he to ask if she was alright when he was the cause of that? What right would he have?

Ultimately, Kokushibou had to trail behind [Name] who acted like he was not there. They went back to their orphanage in England, a tense silence between them. It became more awkward since she kept his spare kimono and pants with her but he felt embarrassed to ask for them in order to clothe his body.

Luckily for the demon, he had left the broken flute he usually carried under his kimono since she hinted that his clothes might get ruined by the time they were done with the ambush on the Germans. Kokushibou never even told the story behind the instrument, but she trusted him enough not to ask. Or maybe she already knew; he never really asked much about the future.

She had been a better friend in one night than he had been for the past few months; adding more fuel to his growing guilt and remorse.

That was the only stroke of luck left for the day because he suffered with the silent treatment you were putting him through. He knew he deserved it, but it didn't hurt any less.

A few hours later, when the sun had just set in England, [Name] silently gestured for him to follow her. Her arm was covered in a bandage which was getting stained and damp with blood. A large part of him felt so guilty,but a small intrusive part wanted to have a taste again. His eyes looked away in shame.

One portal later, they were in a Russian town which had been deserted and left in ruins by soldiers who bombed the place. If one had the courage to look closely,they would see some skulls buried under the rubble.

[Name] walked a few metres ahead then stopped, prompting him to stop as well. The silence was deafening and uncomfortable for the demon, but he did not show it, maintaining his neutral expression. Finally, the female spoke.

"Kokushibou." Her tone was unreadable, but he already knew he had messed up. "I'm sure you know why I've brought you here."

"...I do." He nodded, glancing at her arm then at the back of her head.

"You broke your promise and succumbed to your greed. Not only did you attempt to attack a pregnant woman, you attacked me as well. This," she raised the bandaged arm, "is the result of your actions."

His fist clenched tightly, wishing to fix his mistakes. He hated how he had disappointed his partner.

"Not only did you injure me but you also lied. All this time, you told me you were fine. I noticed this issue months ago and you couldn't tell me that your cravings were getting uncontrollable." Her voice had a biting edge to it when she called out his dishonesty.