Chapter 13: Cassie

Start from the beginning

     "I'm sure he was thrilled to get to deal with that," I say, moving over to sit back on the couch.

     "He knew what he was signing up for when he became captain," Teddy responds sitting down next to me.

     "You really don't have to stay out here," I say, suddenly aware that I have absolutely nothing in common with Teddy and no idea how to talk to him.

     "I know," he says, "there's just something I wanted to say to you, and I'm trying to figure out how."

     "That doesn't sound good," I say with a questioning tone. I hardly know the guy, what could he have to say to me?

     "Look," He starts, "West is one of my best friends. I've played with him for four years now, he's like a brother to me. Never once have I seen him pull shit like he did tonight, singing like that, making a fool out of himself-"

     I cut him off, "Look he was just joking, trying to make a point about how stupid romance movies are."

     Teddy looks me dead in the eyes, "No, he wasn't. He was flirting. And he doesn't know how to flirt, not really. This sounds bad, but most of the girls he's been with have all but thrown themselves at him because he's the 'star of the hockey team.' He doesn't know what to do when he likes a girl."

     I laugh, "You've got it all wrong Hayden doesn't like me. He can hardly stand me."

     "That's exactly what he said, but he's singing for you, and calling you after games, and now inviting you to a game..."

     "He did that because we're friends," I say, surprised that I actually believe it. Sometime during all of this, I started to think of him as a friend, "You're reading too much into it, and besides I'm not going to hurt your captain or distract him from the season."

     "Good," Teddy says, "He's so close to getting everything he's ever wanted, and he deserves it. I'm just looking out for him."

     "I understand, I wish you wouldn't for lack of better words, attack me about it, but I get it. I also have goals I'm about to reach, and I'm not trying to complicate things. Trust me he and I don't think of each other in that way at all."

      "Thank God, and sorry for the interrogation, It'd be different if it was anyone else, it's just West doesn't date, or even really talk to girls. I don't think he's really friends with anyone outside of the hockey."

     "Oh, you shouldn't have told me that," I say, with a slight grin, "I can give him so much shit for that."

     Teddy smiles then after a beat of silence he asks, "You wanna play?" He motions towards the game console next to the tv.

     "Okay," I say, "but just so you know I am terrible at pretty much every video game.

     "You can't be that bad," he says setting everything up, and turning on a hockey game.

     "Oh that's just not fair," I say, "I don't know anything about hockey and you're basically a pro."

     He laughs and spends the next ten minutes giving me a crash course in how hockey works before throwing us into a game claiming he'll go easy on me. He wins the first three rounds, and by the fourth, my competitive side has come out and I don't even realize that Hayden's back.

     When I lose, yet again, I look over and jump a little bit, "How long have you been here," I ask.

     "Long enough to see you get destroyed by Coleman."

     "He has an unfair advantage of being a hockey player. I think I'm doing pretty good for someone who's never even watched a hockey game."

      "You've never watched a hockey game," they both call out shocked in almost perfect unison.