The start of the End

Have you ever thought "I'd love to have a superpower and be a hero that saves the day!" Or some bullshit like that? Yeah, no, me too at one point. We all do when we're young and dumb and super fucking uncool, but I take all that shit back. If I could, I would get rid of mine. I could have had a normal "coming of age" boring, ass teenage life. God how nice that would be. I'm getting off track. Just trust me. Maybe after giving my story a little read you might want to change your mind on the childhood hero story you dreamed of.
2022, October 30th. The day before Halloween! I was at school like any other high school-age teen, because, for some reason, America doesn't let us out for Halloween. Anyway, Ms.Grills' math class, or more accurately referred to as
"Hell." I heard her say next to me, her voice quiet yet lined with annoyance.
Harper Owens, my best friend, though I would love to be anything more than just a "good buddy" to her.
"God, this class is like the embodiment of nails on a chalkboard."
She spins a pencil around her finger, looking over at me with a look of feigned sadness. She smiles slightly, it's so infectious and I can't do anything but smile back.
"Quinn," she says, god every time she says my name I get butterflies. She really drags out the "n" when she says it and her face is like a pouting dog.
"What?" I lay my head down on my arm, looking up at her. A giggle escaped me as I watched her. Harper tilted her head to the side to look at me, her shoulder-length brown hair falling effortlessly into place.
"OK, so I know you don't like parties-"
"Actually I hate parties," I interrupted. In my four years of high school, I have been to 3 total parties and, personally, that's enough for a lifetime.
"Yeah, yeah, OK, but hear me out. Joey and I are planning a small get-together for Halloween and it'd be great if you could come!" Her excitement almost made me say yes immediately, then I realized something.
"Joey? You're still hanging around him? After what he did?"
Joseph Hanes aka your average high school jock. You know the kind who destroys people's stuff, bullies kids, parties every weekend, that kinda guy who just also happens to be Harper's ex.
"I know I know he's a bit of an ass but he treats me so sweetly and-" the sound of the bell rang loudly as everyone grabbed their bags and rushed out of class kind of like cockroaches when you turn on the light. I grabbed my bag, slinging it over my shoulder as I grabbed at the last of the school supplies on my desk. Harper stood up with her stuff in her hands as she made her way to the door, waiting for me with a smile. I'd smile back but the thought of Harper and Joey getting

back together made me sick to my stomach, not even from the jealousy. The whole reason they broke up in the first place was because he was a toxic piece of human shit and was probably the most homophobic man I'd ever met. Of course, Harper didn't know that. I'd have told her if he hadn't threatened to tell her about my little crush on her. That's not the reason I was nervous and rightfully so with that asshat around her.
"OK, that's not important! The important part is that I need you there! For emotional support!" Harper said, hugging me as I walked to her and out the door. As much as I wanted to say no and change her mind, I knew it was virtually impossible. All I could do was be there to protect her.
"Fine. But only this once and... you really gotta stop hanging out with Joey." I snaked my hand down to hold hers. A nervous smile was all I could give as we walked out of the building

The next day went as any school day went, schoolwork, conversations, and annoyances. Eventually, I made it back home, Harper at my side like an excited animal. She stops me before I can get in my room blocking the door with her whole body.
"Ok Ok! Stay here! I already have our costumes made and trust me you'll love them!"
"You got a costume ready? What if I didn't say yes to your little party?"
She looked at me with a smirk on her face as she slipped into my room and behind the door.
"I would've gotten my way eventually." Her confidence makes me want to refute but I know well that I would have caved eventually. I smile back at her as I take my book bag off, leaning against the hallway wall.
"Hurry up then"
She takes that instruction in a heartbeat, closing my door with an excited squeal. Smiling, I tilt my head, my hair falling to the side as I wait at the door patiently. I can hear her giggling and rustling behind the door and in a few minutes she comes out.
A bright red blazer with gold accessories and a striped skirt. Something straight out of a movie or a musical to be more precise. She smiles knowingly as she adjusts her posture to something more powerful. Her hands were placed firmly on her hips and her head tilted up in pride, a fitting smirk sprawled across her face.
"What's the line? 'Welcome to my candy store'?" She said, raising an eyebrow to me.
To be completely honest with you, I didn't even hear her question. She looked perfect in her outfit, that evil little smirk matching her character to the T. I felt my face flush and a stupid smile plague my lips. Quickly I snapped out of it with the obnoxious sound of:
"Quinn, Quinn, can you bring me a coke?" My brother yelled at the top of his lungs. I never understood why he did that, our rooms were right next door after all.
"Get it yourself you lazy son of a bitch!"