010. breaking point

tw: domestic abuse

Danielle is home alone, having a day off from work. She's thankful for it since her ribs are killing her, refusing to look at her black and blue stomach. The landline starts ringing and Danielle instinctively goes to answer it before stopping. She knows she isn't allowed to answer the phone, especially when Brady isn't home.

Taking a deep breath and figuring he'll never know anyway, Danielle picks up the phone.

"Hello?" She asks.

"Dani?" She straightens up at Spencer's voice.

"Sp-Spen. H-hey." She greets. "Hey, what, uh... what's up?"

"I haven't heard from you in four weeks, Dani." Spencer points out.

"Right. Right, yeah, uh..." She scratches the back of her neck. "I just, um... it's been super busy around here."

"You always say that." Spencer says.

"Okay, well, it's always true." She snaps. She quietly sighs after a moment, wincing. "Sorry. I-- sorry. I'm just... I'm tired. This whole thing is a little more exhausting than I initially thought."

"You wanna talk about it?" Spencer asks.

"Not really." Danielle says.

"You should. If not with me than a therapist or something. Somebody you trust." Spencer says.

"Yeah. Yeah, I-I'll consider it." Danielle says. "I just... I need some sleep."

"Yeah. Look, I-- there's something I need to tell you. But I-- I would prefer to tell you in person. It-- it's really important." Spencer says.

"I-- I can't. I'm just swamped, Spence. Can you just tell me?"

"Dani, I--"

"Dude, just tell me now."

"Dani, I really think--"

"Spencer, just freaking tell me."

Spencer sighs, frowning.

"Emily... she, uh... she's alive." Spencer informs.

"What?" Danielle frowns.

"They-- she faked her death in order to keep herself safe from Ian Doyle. But-- but he was killed a couple of nights ago and-- and Emily's alive and back. She was living in Paris this whole time."

"Wha-- no, that-- that's impossible. We-- we had a funeral, we buried her." Danielle frowns.

"I know, but... it's true." Spencer says. "Look, I really think we should meet up and talk. I haven't seen you in months."

"We can't." Danielle says.

"Why not?" Spencer asks.

"We just... I just can't, okay? I'm sorry." Danielle hangs the phone up.

+++

Danielle is cooking dinner when the door opens and she flinches when it slams shut.

"You think you're smart, huh?" Brady remarks.

"What?" She asks.

"You were on the fucking phone earlier!"

"Wha-- n-no. No, I-I wasn't." She denies.

"Don't fucking lie to me!" He slams her into the fridge. 

"How-- how would you know?"

"Oh, sweetheart... I put security cameras in, you stupid bitch." Brady laughs.