004. surprise visit

"Hey." Danielle answers her brother's phone call.

"Hey. I-I got a few minutes away from work. Why'd you keep calling me earlier?" Spencer asks.

"Oh, I had a science question, but it's fine. I just asked the internet." Danielle says.

"How's college going? Waitressing?" Spencer asks.

"Oh, I, uh, I actually quit both and became a stripper. Makes me more money." Danielle says.

"Wh-what?" Spencer's voice raises a few octaves.

"Gotcha." Danielle grins. She giggles when she hears Spencer groan in annoyance.

"I-I mean, not that-- that there's anything wrong with-- with that profession." Spencer says. "You just-- you're a baby."

"I am not a baby." She frowns.

"You're not even 20 yet, Danielle. Your brain isn't fully developed for another 5 years." Spencer says.

"Whatever. Where are you today?" Danielle changes the subject.

"We're in Atlanta." Spencer informs.

"Can you tell me anything?" She asks.

"Uh... not really." Spencer says.

"Okay. Well, be safe. Don't... you know, get shot or something." Danielle says.

"Okay. I gotta go. Love you."

"Love you. Bye." She hangs up.

+++

Danielle rolls her eyes as the line continues to ring, Spencer not picking up his phone.

"What?" She finally hears his voice.

"Finally." She huffs. "Dude, I've been calling you a thousand times. You haven't talked to me since, like, three weeks ago."

"I've been busy. I can't nurture every second of the day, Danielle." Spencer remarks.

"Okay, nobody said anything about nurturing." Danielle says.

"What do you want?" He huffs.

"I... are you okay?" She asks.

"I'm fine. What do you want?" Spencer asks again.

"Call me when you're not such a little bitch." Danielle hangs up.

+++

Danielle knocks on the apartment door, waiting for an answer. After knocking another time and still not getting an answer, Danielle goes through her small collection of keys until she finds the correct one.

Walking into the apartment, she grimaces at the small mess, growing both confused and worry. With how much of a germaphobe Spencer is, she knows he likes keeping his place clean. He always had a clean room growing up and he has a panic attack anytime she does something he deems gross.

"Spence?" She calls out, walking around the place, not finding him anywhere. "Spencer." She calls in a sing song voice. "I'm gonna rearrange your books." She threatens.

Going into his bedroom, Danielle still doesn't find him. She sighs before hearing a noise come from the bathroom.

"Spen?" She gently knocks on the door. "Hey." Something clatters making her worry. She tries to open the door, but finds it locked. "Spencer!" She bangs on the door.

Huffing, Danielle takes a bobby pin out of her wallet and uses it to pick the lock, having taught herself to do that when she was 10. Spencer had scolded her on it, lecturing her about how it was illegal and wrong, but she tuned him out most of the time.