𝐱𝐢. endless roads ahead.

Start from the beginning

Since they left the cabin, she had successfully avoided Sydney and her apprehension. She wanted to hold off the conversation as long as she could. And with the way Sydney was sitting and talking intently with Michonne and Rick, made Frankie think that there might not be a conversation at all.

Charlie caught her attention a long time ago as she wavered her attention from Sydney. The boy was sitting next to his sister and Glenn. It was the first time the girl had actually seen the boy look almost happy. It was odd to see him actually smile when he was talking, he seemed so relieved to be in his older sister's vicinity. It wasn't long before Frankie's eyes diverted from the scene when the boy's gaze suddenly snapped to her's once he noticed her stare.

Frankie's eyes traveled along the group, looking for Gabi. The redhead couldn't help a small smile touch her lips at the scene of Gabi talking to Rosita. Not even thirty minutes ago, Gabi was planted right next to Frankie as they talked about nothing but the random thoughts that came to their minds. But the girl decided to make her leave, eyes transfixed on Rosita. She got up, mentioning to Frankie that she was going to go "shoot her shot". The idea of Gabi, a barely fresh adult, flirting with a woman who was so clearly in her late twenties and dating Abraham. It was comical, but Frankie said nothing, just wanting her friend to have some freedom for the first time in a while.

Her music had been playing since then, as she slowly fell into it. Melodies and meaningful lyrics traveled through her mind, making her feel even more at ease than she had before. She loved this feeling, loved the freedom of music. Just as she was about to close her eyes and fall further into it, a person found a spot right next to her. Pulling her headphones around her neck, she looked to her side and found Charlie staring right at her. Frankie went to open her mouth to speak but the boy interrupted her.

"I'm ready."

Frankie furrowed her eyebrows as she tilted her head in utter confusion. "For what?"

The boy rolled his eyes at her not understanding what he was saying, "I'm ready to experience your music or whatever."

Frankie couldn't help but let a smile beam from her lips, not actually thinking he would ever want to do that. "Seriously?"

"Yes," The boy snorted, giving her what seemed like a playful glare. Frankie tried to not show the happiness that she was feeling on the inside due to him opening up to her. "Don't make me regret it."

Frankie clapped quickly in excitement, apparently too loudly because it caught the attention of the others that occupied their little camp. She ignored the stares and immediately dug through her bag pulling out the options she had for music. "You seriously must be bored, if you're doing this."

"Who said I was bored?" Charlie replied, his tone deadpan as he stared at her with a raised eyebrow.

"Oh I was just..." Frankie paused, looking up and sending him a shy smile as she shook her head to ignore her thoughts of doubt, "Nevermind, what are you thinking?"

Charlie stared down at the options of CDs in her hands and just shrugged. "I'm down for whatever, play me your favorite song."

Frankie smiled at his words as she nodded, eyes scanning the music for the one she wanted. "You got it."

The girl quickly snagged the CD that stood out from all the others. She stared at it for a moment, the plastic rested delicately against her fingertips. The familiar case was scratched and warn from its years of use before the apocalypse even started. Her heart thudded in her chest, knowing the significance of the song that she was going to play. The moments of it were the background of her childhood.

"What does it mean to you?"

Frankie snapped out of her thoughts, glancing up at the boy at his words. With a small sad smile, she answered as she swiped her thumb lightly along the album title. "It was my mom's favorite song."