08 - Lunch and Ink

Start from the beginning

"And how do you know that information?" The suspicious professor said, crossing his arms.

"It's just that I... um, li-like you know... Ruby told me about her uncle, and..."

"Don't stutter, spit out the truth."

"Ruby told me."

"Miss Rose wouldn't reveal such sensitive information about her older sister, even if you are her dear friend."

Darn it, this guy is smarter than he looks.

"I'm waiting, Jaune."

The professor's tone was serious and heavy; he wouldn't swallow any lies now. I'm still not sure if he's part of Ozpin's inner circle; I need to say something to distract him.

"I'm dating Yang."

Port froze instantly.

An uncomfortable silence hung in the air, but neither of us said anything or even moved for at least 1 minute until the professor began to laugh.

"Ha-ha, well done, Jaune," he said, slapping my back. "Even though you're pathetic in combat, you managed to win over someone as beautiful as Yang. You really are a great man."

Phew! To deal with this guy, I just need to remember that in the end, he's just an old man.

"Keep it up, and you'll have a harem as big as mine."

...

"Repeat that."

"Keep it up?"

"The other part."

"A harem as big as mine?"

"Do you have a harem?"

"Of course, my young man." Port laughed as if I had asked something silly. "I have 11 wives."

"YOU HAVE A FOOTBALL TEAM OF WIVES?"

The old and robust professor beamed with pride at my surprise.

"I admit that I have more wives than some people expect, but it's perfectly normal for a successful Hunter to have multiple wives."

"Why? That doesn't make sense."

"For every 5 Huntsmen, we have 4 Huntresses, but when it comes to civilian fighters without aura, the overwhelming majority are men, and those men... most of them don't live long."

"What's the gender ratio in the general population, hunters, and civilians?"

"I'd say it's 2.5 women for every man."

Damn!

"But what about the Huntresses? Do they have harems too?"

"I'd say the minority of them, as most women prefer a man who is as strong as they are, and although I see the appeal in a strong woman..." He turned his back to finish speaking. "Most men prefer gentle women who depend on them."

"It seems like men have the upper hand when it comes to relationships."

"It doesn't seem like a good trade-off when you consider that almost 60% of the male population dies before the age of 30," the professor commented.

"I take back the nonsense I just said." But I'm still intrigued. "Why do you have so many women? Is it all about desire or a show of power?"

"Actually, I wanted to have only 1 wife when I was young, but her older sister became a widow when she was pregnant. My dear Amelia asked me to marry her older sister so that she could enjoy the rights of a Huntsman wife."