Part I

Hey everyone!
I'm sorry it's been so long. Thank you for everyone that's checked in lately. I've had a lot going on recently and I haven't had a moment to myself.
This is just a small oneshot, or it was supposed to be. I'm gonna do it in two parts so here's the first one :)
I hope you're all doing good!
Happy reading!
Nat xx

After a long day at school, Cheryl couldn't wait to get onto her laptop to continue yesterday's conversation with a girl she'd been chatting with online. It wasn't something she would usually do, but she was having a particularly lonely night a couple of months ago and found herself on a chat room.

Of course, names weren't exchanged. She was still deep in the closet, and struggling to come to terms with her sexuality, but talking to others like herself helped. After messaging backwards and forwards with a group of girls, she came across one girl in particular whose conversation caught her attention.

It didn't take many public messages between the two of them for them to create their own private room. A private room where they slowly, but surely begun talking to each other more honestly and freely.

After taking off her coat, and ignoring her hateful mother, Cheryl headed to her bedroom, opening her laptop on her bed and got herself comfortable.

RedCherry: Hey, are you online yet?

ViperGirl: I am, I've just gotten home. How was your day?

RedCherry: It was fine. No cheerleading practice today. How was yours?

ViperGirl: Terrible. Our principal decided to close down the school newspaper... asshole.

RedCherry: I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe if you speak with your principal, they'll reconsider?

ViperGirl: Nah, I'll be surprised if that dump is open in a years time. Anyway...

RedCherry: Anyway..?

ViperGirl: You said we'd exchange names today. It's been two months since we've been talking. Or have you changed your mind? No pressure.

It wasn't a lie. Cheryl did say that they could exchange names today, but now it came to it, she was nervous.

ViperGirl: You're not gonna ghost me, are you? Honestly, we can stick with Red if you're more comfortable with that.

RedCherry: Really?

ViperGirl: Sure. If you want to... I could still tell you my name. No strings attached.

RedCherry: You can, if you want to.

ViperGirl: All right, but if don't reply I'll know it's because you know me... I'm Toni.

"Toni," Cheryl said out loud as she stared at the screen, she didn't know anyone by that name, and she didn't know whether she was relieved or disappointed that she couldn't picture the girl she was talking to.

RedCherry: It's nice to officially meet you, Toni. Maybe I'll be brave enough to tell you my name soon.

ViperGirl: Like I said, no pressure. I'm sorry I have to cut this short, but I promised I'd meet with my friends this evening.

RedCherry: Okay Toni. Speak soon.

ViperGirl: Bye Red!

Cheryl was disappointed that Toni logged off, she enjoyed her nights of online conversations, and now she didn't know what to do with her evening. Her stomach growled, and she remembered that she hadn't eaten yet. Maybe Pops wouldn't be such a bad idea.