Birthday Love

I sit against the trunk of the tree, the rough bark biting into the exposed skin of my back. My eyes follow the fluid movements of the dark haired Uchiha as he spars against Naruto. Naruto is quick on his feet, but his speed doesn't come close to matching Sasuke's. Sasuke lands a direct punch on the blonde's jawline and then follows up with a roundhouse kick to his side.

"Dobe..." Naruto grunts before creating the handsign for his Shadow Clone Jutsu.

"Tch," is all Sasuke says in response.

In a poof of smoke, four perfect replicas of Naruto appears. They all have the same cocky grin. I glance over to Sasuke to see that he has a single eyebrow raised, questioning why Naruto would even attempt to use that attack on him.

The clones rush at him, but he uses his speed and taijutsu skills to counteract the clones. He takes out shuriken, holding them between his fingers, once he creates some distance between himself and the Naruto clones. He throws the weapons and each finds it mark, dispelling the clones in another poof of smoke.

"Having fun watching, Blondie?" I hear a familiar lazy voice say.

I turn my head to the left to see Shikamaru settling himself down onto the grass beside me. He sighs before closing his eyes gently.

"I guess," I tell him as I focus back on the sparring match. "Today was pretty boring considering Dani and Mimi wanted some 'alone time'."

"Mhm..." I hear him murmur in agreement. "By the way, happy birthday."

My head snaps back to his direction, my eyes bulging out of their sockets. He hasn't even opened his eyes, but his lazy smile tells me that he knows that he caused me to react.

"How the hell did you know about it being my birthday?" I question him, my eyes now narrowed.

Shikamaru opens one eye as he answers me with, "You told me your birthday when you moved in with me, idiot."

My eyebrows scrunch together as I attempt to remember giving him that information. After awhile I sigh and nod, trusting that he's telling me the truth. He chuckles, knowing that he caught me off guard.

"At least you're not throwing me a party or anything," I joke.

"Actually," I hear Naruto's voice come from directly in front of me. "We are."

I look at the blonde to see that his jaw has a bruise forming where Sasuke hit him. Behind him, I see Sasuke walking out of the training grounds, not even looking behind at us.

"You're what?" I ask Naruto.

"Shikamaru and I are going to throw you a party! It's going to be here at the Training Grounds tonight!" he tells me with a huge grin on his face.

"What?!" I exclaim again.

"You're going to have to go buy something nice..." Shikamaru tells me. "It's going to be formal..."

I jump up to a standing position and glare down at my lazy friend. There's no way in hell that he's going to get me into a dress. It's my party. I should be able to wear whatever I want.

"No!" I object.

Shikamaru stands as well and with a sigh he tells me, "Fine. Don't impress Uchiha then."

I feel the blood rush to my cheeks as he mentions Sasuke. My jaw clenches as I think of his arrogance and cynical nature.

"Why would I be interested in impressing that Baka?" I growl out.

"How about we just go buy you something as a birthday present then?" Naruto asks me, the smile still on his face.

I shrug, not really caring if they want to get me something or not. At ny gesture, Naruto grabs my wrist and drags me away from the tree and towards the shops in the village.