Despite wanting to try something new, one must always exercise caution when shooting historical films and dramas. The slightest slipups could lead to criticisms and accusations of distortion of historical facts, so the changes should be done in moderation only after thorough research. Queen Moon-Jin’s data was generally related to political strife, so people’s assessments of her were poles apart depending on their perceptions. Nevertheless, both sides unanimously agreed on one thing that Queen Moon-Jin didn’t hold herself back and was spiteful in her remarks.

“What you said earlier on is true, right?”

“Should I send you the materials after I find them?”

“Then I’ll thank you in advance.” There was still time before production began, so she wanted to do more research about her role again in the meantime.

“By the way, how… no, no! It’s on me.” Im Ji-Young was about to ask Director Yoon for his opinion on how she should portray a dignified and venomous woman, but she shook her head and mumbled to herself. If it didn’t work out after she had given it a shot, it wouldn’t be too late to ask Director Yoon for help then. So the table read session continued, except for her, as she became deep in thought while looking at the script.

After that, Woo-Jin didn’t criticize any other actors when it came to portraying their characters. His feelings towards Im Ji-Young’s portrayal of Queen Moon-Jin were exposed because he failed to manage his facial expressions after seeing how her portrayal had deviated a lot from the actual Queen Moon-Jin that he knew. He never intended to pick other actors’ acting in the first place.

“Let’s go together, Dong-Ho!” After the table read ended, the actors and production crew decided to have dinner and a get-together. As they were leaving the studio, Woo-Jin joked around with Lee Dan-Woo, his close friend and co-star in City of Shadows.

Lee Dan-Woo played Dong-Ho, a eunuch that served Prince Myeong-Hwan. He was a very important person to Prince Myeong-Hwan. Dong-Ho had been by Prince Myeong-Hwan’s side ever since they were children, and he also tagged along when Prince Myeong-Hwan left the palace. They had been together up until the last moments of the prince’s life. Even though Dong-Ho was not his close friend, he gave Prince Myeong-Hwan his full support and followed him till the very end. He was the only servant that served Prince Myeong-Hwan as his master with sincerity.

“I’m so glad you’re the one playing Dong-Ho, hyung.” Even though Director Yoon might not have cast them out of consideration for him, he was happy that Kwon Eun-Mi was playing Seol Ha and Lee Dan-Woo was playing Dong-Ho.

However, Lee Dan-Woo replied to him soullessly with a disheartened look on his face.

“You should try being a eunuch too.” While Lee Dan-Woo was glad to be cast in the movie and had no complaints about the role itself, he was sad because he was just a eunuch.

“Dong-Ho was a great eunuch. How many eunuchs have made a name for themselves in history?” That was not all. Making a name for himself wasn’t enough — he was also a eunuch that had earned the honor of being a loyal subject.

“That’s not comforting at all.”

“To be honest, if I were you, I don’t think I’d feel very comforted either.” Lee Dan-Woo glared at Woo-jin as the latter coldly talked about reality. Then, all of a sudden, he looked around. Most of the actors had already left the studio, and before they knew it, they were the only ones left behind. They were lagging behind because Lee Dan-Woo was taking his own time packing his bag.

“Oh HNa didn’t show up in the end, huh. Where on earth could she be that the road was still congested after three hours?”

“She might have gone to the countryside. Fortunately, she wasn’t in an accident.”