Chapter 42 - Edward Tells All

Start from the beginning

When they reach the front, we all clap.

"And now our friends from the north," Dumbledore says.  "Please greet the proud sons of Durmstrang, and their high master Igor Karkaroff."

"Albus," the high master addresses our headmaster before they embrace.

"Igor!"

While we eat our dinner, something is set up at the front and I watch with interest until Dumbledore stands again.

"Your attention, please! I'd like to say a few words."

He puts his hand on the object.

"Eternal glory.  That is what awaits the student who wins the Triwizard Tournament.  But to do this, that student must survive three tasks.  Three extremely dangerous tasks.  For this reason, the Ministry has seen fit to impose a new rule.  To explain all this we have the head of the Department of International Magical Cooperation Mr Bartemius Crouch."

A thunder storm seems to brew quickly above us, making some of the first years scream before somebody fires magic into the air so we all look to see who did.

"Bloody hell!" Ron says.  "It's Mad-Eye Moody."

"Alastor Moody? The Auror?" Hermione asks.

"Auror?" Dean asks.

"Dark-wizard catcher," Ron says.  "Half the cells in Azkaban are filled thanks to him.  He's supposed to be mad as a hatter, though, these days."

The odd man walks down to Dumbledore.

"Mr dear old friend, thanks for coming."

"Stupid ceiling!"

"Thank you."

He stands to one side and drinks something from a small canister.

"What's that he's drinking, do you suppose?" Bam asks.

"I don't know, but I don't think its pumpkin juice," Harry says.

Crouch stands at the front next to Dumbledore.

"After due consideration the Ministry has concluded that, for their own safety, no student under the age of 17 shall be allowed to put forth their name for the Triwizard Tournament."

Many of the younger students begin complaining.

"This decision is final."

"That's rubbish!" Fred shouts.

Somebody else shouts the same.

"You don't know what you're doing," another student shouts.

There's booing.

"Silence!" Dumbledore shouts.

Silence befalls the hall before Dumbledore holds his wand over the tower at the front and it begins to shrink to reveal a large goblet.

Blue flames appear over it.

"The Goblet of Fire," Dumbledore announces.  "Anyone wishing to submit themselves to the tournament need only write their name upon a piece of parchment and throw it in the flame before this hour on Thursday night.  Do not do so lightly.  If chosen, there's no turning back.  As from this moment, the Triwizard Tournament has begun.

~Hollie's POV~

I'm sitting in the common room with the others when Reba flies in and lands on the back of Harry's chair before dropping a letter in his hand.

"Why would Emberlee send you a letter?" Neville asks.  "Everyone knows she hates you."

"Open it," I urge him so he does.