Chapter 37 - Seeing Double

Comincia dall'inizio

"At least if they do, I now have a home to go to and I'm sure Uncle Sirius will let you live there too."

"It won't come to that," he says before kissing me on the top of the head and leaving the room.

~Bella's POV~

Dumbledore walks into the room.

"I've been looking for you," he says.  "And I find out you'd been on another dangerous adventure."

"It didn't start out like that, sir," Hermione says.

"It was Scabbers who did it," Ron says.

"Scabbers?" Dumbledore asks.

"He's my rat, sir.  He's not really a rat.  He was a rat.  He was my brother Percy's rat.  But then they gave him an owl..."

"I know everything," Dumbledore says.  "I knew time would tell."

The clock tower dongs.

"Mysterious thing, time," Dumbledore says.  "Powerful... and when meddled with, dangerous."

He walks to the door.

"Sirius may be free but there is one who isn't... one who was also innocent and punished unduly."

He turns back to us.

"You know the rules, Miss Granger.  You must not be seen.  And you would do well, I feel, to return before this last chime.  If not, the consequences are too ghastly to discuss.  If you succeed tonight, you will be rewarded greatly.  Three turns should do it, I think."

He heads for the door and goes to close it before he stops.

"On, and by the way.  When in doubt, I find retracing my steps to be a wise place to begin.  Good luck!"

"What the bloody hell was that all about?" Ron asks.

"Right, Bella, Harry, you need to go," Hermione says as she takes a long necklace from around her neck and places it round mine.

"That's a Time-Turner," I say.  "I know exactly what that does and the rules for using it."

"I knew you would," Hermione says.  "So you know what to do?"

I nod before I put the necklace round Harry's neck as well.  I turn the pendant three times and it begins spinning by itself until we find ourselves in an empty medical wing.

"What just happened?" Harry asks.  "Where's the others?"

"7:30.  Where were we at 7:30?"

"I dunno, going to Hagrid's."

"Come on, and we can't be seen."

I race after her, trying to get answers but she ignores me.  We hurry across the bridge and stop.  There, a few feet away is... us just before Hermione punches Malfoy.

"That's us," Harry says.  "This is not normal."

I pull him back and take out the necklace.

"This is a Time-Turner, Harry."

"Yeah, I got that."

"McGonagall gave it to Hermione first term.  This is how she's been getting to her lessons all year."

"You mean we've gone back in time?"

"Yes."

I put the necklace away.

"Dumbledore wants us to save Buckbeak."

We look back at the other us.

"Malfoy's coming."