Chapter 21 - Inside the Chamber

Start from the beginning

"Very well.  I'll just be in my office getting ready."

"Who is it that the monster's taken, Minerva?" Carlisle asks.

"Ginny Weasley."

I gasp.

When the teachers walk away, we see what is written: 'Her skeleton will lie in the Chamber forever.'

"We need to see Lockhart," I say.  "He may be useless, but he's going to try and get into the Chamber."

We make our way to his office, only to find him packing his bags.

"Are you going somewhere?" Edward asks

"Well, yes.  Urgent call.  Unavoidable.  Got to go."

"You coward," Edward says.

"You're running away?" I ask.  "After all you did in your books?"

"Books can be misleading."

"I told you he was a fraud," Bella says.

"But why write those things?" I ask.

"My dear boy, use your common sense.  My books wouldn't have sold half as well if people didn't think I'd done those things."

"You've just been taking credit for what other wizards have done?" I ask.  "Is there anything you can do?"

"Yes, now you mention it.  I'm rather gifted with Memory Charms.  Otherwise, all those wizards would have gone blabbing.  I'd never have sold another book.  In fact, I'm going to have to do the same to you."

Edward holds out his wand so me and Bella do the same.

"Don't even think about it," Edward warns.

He puts his wand down.

~Ryan's POV~

I am sitting in the bathroom with Merida when Harry, Edward and Bella walk in with Lockhart.

"What's going on?"

"Lockhart is a fraud," Harry says.  "He's coming with us."

"Where?"

"Into the Chamber," Bella says.

"Have you asked her?" Harry asks, looking around.

I nod my head before looking standing up.

"Myrtle," I call and she pops her head out of the cubicle.

"Yes!"

"Can you tell us how you died?" I ask sensitively.

"It was dreadful.  It happened right here in this very cubicle," she explains as she floats over to one of the cubicles.  "I'd hidden because Olive Hornby was teasing me about my glasses.  I was crying, and then I heard somebody come in."

"Who was it, Myrtle?" Harry asks.

"I don't know.  I was distraught.  But they said something funny, a kind of made-up language and I realized it was a boy, so I unlocked the door to tell him to go away and I died."

"Just like that? How?" I ask, not having heard this story before.

"I just remember seeing a pair of great, big, yellow eyes over there by that sink," she says as she points.

Harry goes to the sink and investigates before turning the tap, which doesn't work.

He looks closer.

"It's a snake symbol," Edward says and I look at him.

There's no way he can see anything on the tap from where he's standing.