Chapter 3: Ditching Class and Going Camping

Start from the beginning

I shut my bedroom door to change into what I call my "sleeping shorts", which are just a pair of regular exercise shorts. My chest is completely bare because I hate having a confining piece of clothing rubbing against my skin, almost completely strangling me. Then, I open my door just enough to receive the smallest bit of light from the other room before slumping onto my comfortable bed. I don't even cover myself with my blanket. Feeling the cool breeze coming from the air conditioning vents is enough to keep me satisfied. I curl my legs up to my abdomen as I lie on my left side, and I feel my eyelids progressively becoming heavier by the second, until my vision becomes dark and I'm finally asleep.

✣✣✣

The next week at school passes by quickly, and it's suddenly Friday morning. I arrive at school,glancing at my phone to reread a text sent earlier this morning from Noah.

Meet us behind the bleachers outside :)

I scan my eyes across the football field until they land on my friends. Konner, Alex, Joshua, and Eliza are sitting on the concrete sidewalk. Meanwhile, Noah is a level higher than everyone else– sitting on the white, structural bars that hold the metal bleachers up. He swings his legs back and forth as he listens to whatever conversation the rest of our friends are having.

As I approach them, they all greet me eagerly.

"Hey, man," Konner says. "We've been waiting for you."

"Yo, what's up, Caleb?" Alex adds.

"Hey." Eliza gives me a small wave.

Joshua doesn't say anything, but he smiles welcomely.

"Hiiiii, Caleb!" Noah waves one arm excitedly, while holding onto the bar he's sitting on with his other arm. He's grinning wildly.

Not knowing what to say, I respond with, "Hey", then sit beside Eliza and Alex. Everyone starts talking again, but I have no idea what it is they're talking about. I joined in way late to this conversation.

Then, Konner drops the big question. "So, are any of you planning to go to Prom this year?"

"Yeah, I'm going with Lexi," Eliza confirms as she squeezes her boyfriend's hand. Alex responds by leaning his head on her shoulder and wearing his very natural goofy grin.

I mentally gag at Eliza's use of Alex's pet name, but I don't let it show.

"Maybe, but I don't have anyone to go with." Joshua slumps against the metal bar behind him. "I might just go by myself or with you guys– whatever you're all planning."

Konner glances up at Noah, who is still mindlessly enjoying his view of everyone from his cherished spot. "What about you, Noah? You got plans for Prom?"

Noah thinks for a moment, then answers Konner's question with an embarrassed smile. "Nah, I got nothing."

Everyone looks surprised by this statement.

"Wait, really?" Alex asks. "Considering how social you are, wouldn't you have, like, a million different girls begging for you to go with them?"

Noah shook his head. "No one's asked me yet. I might ask someone once the day gets closer."

"Well, you still have a few weeks," Eliza reminds him," so you still have plenty of time."

"That's true." Noah restarts the urge to swing his legs as the conversation continues itself.

Finally, I find the need to say something. "So, how long are we staying out here? Class is about to start."

"Konner and I have Trigonometry for the first hour, so we're ditching," Alex informs me, snuggling against Eliza.