The Popular Girl Ch.8

the next day in Biology, which i have with Clay and Nikki, we were assigned an assignment with partners. Mrs. Tapper let us go around the room and draw the name of your partner from the hat. Nikki was first because she sat in the first seat, front row. She drew out a girl named Tessa, she sneered and Tessa looked a little intimidated. i automatically felt sorry for her. Since i sit on the front row, third seat, i had to draw soon after. I was already relieved i wasnt going to get nikki so i happily stuck my hand into the bag and pulled out a piece of paper. i read it aloud, “Clay Harris” I looked over at clay to find him smiling at me, i then turned to look at nikki who was glaring at me as if i had rigged the drawing. Mrs. Tapper kept on going and the class ended soon but all i could think about was getting out of this classroom, and out of nikkis glare.

when the bell rang I saw clay out of the corner of my eye try to stop me from leaving so quickly but i acted like i couldn't hear him and ran to my next class. Before i went to math i stopped in the bathroom and looked at myself in the mirror, my reddish-brown hair was in loose curls around my face, and i looked stressed out. i sighed and walked slowly to my next class, dragging my feet.

When i got there, i was late, the teacher told me to not let it happen again, i apologized and went to look for an open seat. the only seat open was one next to tyler, probably because everyone was too shy to sit next to someone popular. i smiled at him when i sat down, he smiled back and went back to listening to the teacher. tyler really was a nice guy, even if i don't know him that well. After class we walked to the lunchroom together without talking. but it wasnt awkward silence or anything, it was just, i don't know, comforting. 

We eventually made it to the cafeteria he i stood in the lunch line while he walked off toward our table telling me, “I’ll save you a seat.” i thanked him and carried and getting my salad and coke. I thought about Nikkis hideous glare and shivered.

I slowly dragged my feet over to our table, ignoring the seat in-between tyler and clay, i guess that was the seat he was saving for me. instead i sat down by luke and Alyssa who were absentmindedly chatting about the science project and how stupid it was. Nikki walked up then and took the seat in-between clay and tyler, they both looked uncomfortable. I slowly ate my salad, not talking to anyone. i guess everyone noticed because they all tried to pull me into at least seven different conversations, i just shrugged or said yes or no, not interested.

My stomach started to hurt so without telling anyone i took my salad bowl and dumped it in the trash before running to the bathroom. my mini-heels were rubbing blisters on my feet but i didnt care, i still kept running.

I finally made it and rushed into the first stall i saw. I didnt even know what i was doing until i had already thrown up. i walked over to the counter and grabbed it to steady my woozy-feeling self. i looked at my reflection. my face was pale white and my eyes had terrible bags under them. I let some water run into my hands before i slurped it up and swished it back in forth in my mouth, rinsing out the awful throw up taste.

The door quickly swung open, i turned to look and see who it was. Alyssa. I started to think “great, maybe she can help me find the nurses office so i can call my mom and go home.” Instead i noticed her face. She looked distant and her eyes were cold. 

“Nikki told me about how you were dating Clay. She told everyone. You knew i liked him!” She screamed, tearing filled her eyes and a few slipped out but she quickly clawed them away. I didnt know what she was talking about. Would nikki really tell everyone that? But why?

“She was right i should have never trusted you. You knew. You knew and you didnt care. She was also right that you dont deserve to have us. None of us. You broke luke’s heart. He told me he thought he LOVED you, Addison! You dont go and toy with people like that! I cant believe you. We’re not friends anymore, and i NEVER want to see you again. Just stay away from us.” She paused, i had never seen her this angry. for such a small 5 foot 1 girl she looked like she could kill someone. “All of us.” Before i could say anything or honestly deny everything she was exiting the bathroom. 

My legs felt weak, as did my arms. I sunk to the floor. This is all my fault. Why didnt i listen to nikki and just stay away from clay? i should have nikki would have done something like this.

I dont even like clay! at first i did, but not anymore. Not once i really got to know him. He was just clay, my friend clay. nothing more. Except now everyone thinks we are more. I hung my heading and started crying, not sobs like i did when nikki came over that one day, but full on tears. Big ones. The ones that soak your shirt and you have to change. 

My mind suddenly flashed to luke. did he really say he thought he might love me? I remembered back when i first met him, he seemed so likable, so... Luke. Now he hates me. Because of nikki. But i have to take part of the blame if only i would have listened to her warning.

Then my thoughts rushed back to clay. Wasnt he sitting at the lunchroom table when nikki told everyone? Why didnt he just deny it? Why? I knew he was the only person that would talk to me right now. He was the only prson that could help me fix everything.

I sighed and slowly got off the floor. I was going to have to fix this.

All of this

And the only thing i knew: It was NOT going to be easy.

***

Okay, I know this is insanely short and i’m very sorry! keep reading its just starting to get good, huh?(:

                                     Thanks for reading, <3, Ali