Chapter 48 - I Love You

Começar do início

I love you, Chad.

A smile spread across my face as I scribbled down those three words that I desperately wanted to tell him at that very moment.

I bit my lip at the memory of us under that oak tree and tried to blink away the tears that threatened to fall from my eyes. I was flooded with emotions again.

I didn't realize that writing a letter could be this overwhelming. I had to take a deep breath before I could continue. I was almost done, but I wanted to make sure I said everything.

"Hey."

My heart stopped at the sound of that familiar voice. I may have been so absorbed in writing the letter that I hadn't even noticed him walking in.

My eyes were fixed on the letter I was writing. I was almost afraid to look up, debating with myself if I should. But I knew I had to. So with that, I slowly raised my head, my pen still in my hand.

And there he was, standing in front of the bookshelves, looking at me with those gorgeous blue eyes. I felt my pen slip out of my hand as I stared in disbelief.

I wasn't prepared for this moment. I wasn't expecting to see him this soon.

I could feel my heart racing, my breath catching in my throat as I look at him. I wanted to say something, maybe some of the words from my letter, but I couldn't move. All I could do was look into his eyes, feeling the intensity of the moment.

How?

How did he find me here?

I wanted to ask him those questions, but my mouth was too dry to say anything. All I could do was stare at him wide-eyed, too shocked to even move.

I quickly turned away, unable to bear the intensity of his gaze.

"Don't worry, this will not take long." He said, as if he thought I wasn't pleased to see him here.

I quickly stood up and looked at him. I didn't want him to misinterpret my silence.

"Chad." I said as I moved aside the table. His face was expressionless, not showing any hint of what he was thinking.

I wanted to move closer. However, before I could move further, a thud sound has startled me, stopping me on my track. Chad had dropped the stack of papers that he was holding on the table.

I stared at it for a brief moment and then back at him.

Confusion filled me as I tried to understand what was happening.

Chad took off his glasses and pinched the bridge of his nose. He sighed and said, "I'm here to fulfill my part of our deal."

My eyes widened.

Maybe I knew what it was, maybe I knew where this was going. But I wasn't sure I wanted to find out what was going to happen.

No. I silently hoped. My heart beating fast.

"We made a deal." He started, his tone was flat. "you told me that if you can make me fall for you, I should give you the exam papers, right?" He gestured towards the pile of papers on the table that he had just dropped moments ago. "And since you succeeded, I'm keeping my end of the bargain. You can have these. You earned it."

My heart clenched in pain, I could feel my eyes watering but I fought so hard to stop any tears from falling.

His stare was different from how he used to look at me.

This one was cold and distant.

Like how he looked at me when the football team threw the slushies at him.

My stomach twisted into knots and I felt my heart breaking as realization hit me.

No. Please, no. I knew this wasn't going to end well.

He gave me one last look before turning around, ready to leave.

"Wait," I said, holding my breath.

It shouldn't end here. He should know now.

Thankfully, Chad stopped.

I felt compelled to reach out and touch him. I wanted to tell him I didn't want any of this. I don't need these exam papers anymore. I wanted to get mad at him and tell him that I was done with all of it.

With the deal. With all the lies. With the acts.

But before I could even find my voice to express myself, he was already ahead of me.

"I forgot." He said, his back still facing me.

My eyes were on the verge of tearing up again as I wait for him to say the next words.

"We agreed to the deal that the first person to say those three words would lose. Right?"

He looked at me past his shoulder, and said the words I desperately wanted to hear from him: "I love you, Courtney Collins."

I should be overwhelmed with joy. I should be jumping up and down from pure bliss. Because, he finally said it. I finally heard him say those words.

But instead, I felt my heart breaking into a millions pieces. His words were cold and detached, no emotions at all. It was as if it's chilling me like a curse.

Those three words... it was meant to stop my heart.

And I felt like something inside me had died.

-END OF CHAPTER 48-

A/N: I love you, guys! This is meant to happen. This is the deal afterall, right?

Don't hate Courtney. Hahaha!

What do you think? What do you want to see in the next chapters to come?

Share your thoughts <3

READ ADVANCE CHAPTERS ON MY PATREON ACCOUNT: notjustarandomgirl