-

My eyes flew open. No summer morning. No smile on my face. No birds singing.

Tears fell. My breathing was all over the place but hands were placed on my face. Cupping me.

There she was Ava looking at me with worry all over her face.

Just another nightmare.

This was different though. Normally it would be me in my room alone wiping the tears away as I sit in my bed too scared to sleep for the remainder of the night.

Tonight Ava was wiping my tears away and I sat in her bed.

She brought me into a hug "I'm so sorry" that was all that could leave my mouth.

"You have nothing to be sorry for" she reassured me which helped my heart to slow down just a little.

"I didn't mean to wake you," I tell her as I tighten my grip around her.

"I know you didn't but look we are here now you are in my arms nothing can harm you. Just me and you" Her soft voice filled my head and I found myself a lot calmer than I was moments prior.

"Thank you Ava all of this you have done for me showing me your spot, being there for me no questions asked showing me that some people are worth knowing, allowing me to sleep here tonight and now here you are comforting me from my nightmare. Thank you" I wanted her to understand just how much she's done for me. For once I don't feel completely alone in this world.

"I'll always be here for you no matter what" She pulled away from the hug and cupped my face where our forehead rested on each other. Our eyes met and with that, we spoke so many untold words. Brown meets blue.

-

Me and Ava managed to fall back asleep after she told me she wasn't gonna let go of me. So for the rest of the night me and Ava were asleep entwined with one another.

The sun had risen and was now shining through the window of Ava's bedroom as the light made its final destination on me and Ava.

It was as if me and Ava were in some fantasy island worlds away from reality. In this room, there was just me and Ava. Anything else took place outside this room.

To me, this room was my fantasy island. I lay next to Ava for several minutes taking in the wonder of her room. Every brush stroke the walls had. I thought of the stories behind each stroke.

Each picture would surround the room. Like a time capsule of all Ava's memories. This was what it was like to wake up and not be scared of the outcome of today.

I noticed movement next to me which had broken me out of thought. I realised it was Ava waking up. "Good morning you"

She looked up at me with a smile painted on her face. "Good morning"

It felt so weird waking up next to her in a room where there were no worries. Not terrified if your dad is gonna be awake to wish you good morning with slaps and punches.

To be able to smell breakfast instead of hearing the growling of your hungry stomach.

"What are you thinking about?" Ava's raspy voice melted my heart and managed to catch my attention immediately.

"Just how it all feels weird not bad weird but good weird," I told her hoping she would understand.

"What feels good weird?" she said with a slight smile which seemed like she was finding amusement from all these questions she was asking.

"This, us, this room, this morning, all of it" Ava seemed taken back by my words like it had put her in thought. "It's a good thing really," I told her in hopes she wouldn't think I was uncomfortable and that I didn't like any of this.