Chapter 3 - Bumpy Ride

Start from the beginning

"Hey I don't know about you guys. But I'm hungry." Chris said.

"Yeah me too." Rico added.

Cody looks at his phone, " There's a Mc D's coming up. We can eat there. Or... there's a all day breakfast restaurant up a little more?"

"Let's go to the restaurant. I need eggs in the morning."  Chris added.

"Chris. Relax. Your dad's not here." Rico chirps, looking at Chris through the rear view mirror.

"It's not for my dad, asshole. It's for me. I'm eating right regardless of where we go."

"I'm with Chris. I need a good authentic hot cup of coffee right now." Chantel adds.

I look at Cody, " Don't say anything?"

Cody wiggles in his seat with his hands over his mouth mumbling through. Probably smack talking Chantel.

We pull up to a small building with posters about meal deals plastered on most of the windows. A gas station next to it and an outdoor patio with several tables to the other side of the restaurant. We are definitely out of town now. The people look different. They look scrubby. Three big trailer trucks are parked a bit away from the restaurant. I guess truck drivers stop here too. This is the kind of restaurant my parents wouldn't stop at. We wouldn't fit in. I'm so happy I wore my black track pants and sweat top. Nothing that screams 'Name brands'. But Chantel...

"Hey Chantel, why don't you leave your lulu jacket in the Jeep?" I said.

Chantel takes her seat belt off and smiles at me, "but I'll freeze Nicki. It's fine. I'm good with it on."

I don't want to scare her with my thoughts but sometimes Chantel can't see past her own self, "I mean. Maybe keep the name brand items in the car. I don't think the people out here are used to seeing it." I said to see if she clues in.

Chantel look at me confused, " Nicole. I got up way too early this morning and I'm tired. Please get to the point."

"Chantel." Chris intervened, "If you wear your lulus or any name brand it can bring unwanted attention to us. In case you didn't see. We didn't pass a mall or boutique shop in the last 45 mins." Chris lifted his eyebrows, looking at Chantel, "got it?"

Chantel looks and me and Chris, " Well that's their probl..."

"For fucks sake Chantel! Get your fucken head out of your stubborn ass," Cody shouts, "Someone out here could kidnap you, human traffic you, rape you or cut you into small pieces!"  Cody looks at me and Chris, " Stop sugar coating it. She's a big girl and can handle the truth!" Cody looks at Chantel. Chantel  stares at Cody with a fear in her eyes as she takes her lulu Jacket off. Cody smiles, "See, we have an understanding. Let's eat."  Cody said as he and Rico open their doors and get out.

Chantel and Chris open their doors, "I'm starting to think we're safer with the people here then with Cody." Chantel whispers back to me. I smile, agreeing with her.

Cody has always been one to speak the truth. He has had the most difficult life compared to the rest of us. His parents divorced when he was eight years old. He acted out so much. That was the start of him getting trouble at school. His older sister took it better, but she was ten at the time. I think she didn't mind the divorce because the fights that their parents would have was hard to watch. I remember my parents had a BBQ dinner one summer and they were there and it turned into a fight. They left early but Cody was so embarrassed. That was the last time I saw them together.

Now, both his parents have found someone else. Again, it was rough for Cody, having to adjust to two new families and his mom and Peter had a boy together. Cody's dad and his wife don't have children, but lived a more luxurious life. Trips, cottage and high end cars.