Chapter 11 : The test

Start from the beginning

Dazai's voice held a dangerous edge. "So ? What's the message in the last flower?"

Monty's grin returned in full force, his eyes glinting with manic glee. "Ah, the crescendo, my friends! The final piece of our puzzle, me as the last flower carries a message of its own - 'I look forward to seeing you again.'"

A shiver coursed through you, the weight of his words sinking in. The language of flowers took on a chilling significance in this context, a declaration of intent and desire that left you feeling exposed and vulnerable. Moreover, what did he mean by again? You didn't know, and that was making you even more uncomfortable to think that you had encountered another lunatic like Monty before.

Monty, observing your reaction, seemed pleased. "Ah, and I almost forgot, my boss wanted to be sure that you were the person he was looking for. So, he also asked me to test the person who comes here after understanding the meaning of the flowers. As I observed you, dear (Y/N), you were the only one who had done that, so here we are!" He twirled in place, dancing with an eerie glee. "So, if you are all ready now, we will then begin our last test!"

Taken aback by the sudden turn of events, you exchanged a quick glance with Dazai, your thoughts racing. Monty's words and demeanor made it clear that this "test" was no mere game - it was a deadly trial, one that held potentially dire consequences.

Dazai's expression remained unreadable, his gaze locked onto Monty. "And if we refuse?"

Monty's grin widened, his eyes alight with fervor. "Oh, how delightful! Refusal, my dear detectives, comes with its own set of consequences. But I mustn't spoil the surprise, must I?" He then paused, his eyes gleaming with anticipation. "Then, I will give you a reason to take the test!" With a flick of his wrist, he summoned water that rushed toward Dazai.

"Dazai-san!" You shouted, attempting to grab him but failing. The water grabbed Dazai and pulled him beside Monty, forming a bubble around Dazai.

"What is this? Why can't I nullify it?" Dazai questionned as he tried to pass through the bubble without success.

"Because this power is from that magnificent cane!" Monty said happily while showing his cane. "So, it isn't considered technically as an ability, making yours unable to nullify it."

"Oh, I see," Dazai leaned calmly against the water wall and looked at Monty, "Sorry to dissapoint you but I have no desire to suffer through a suicide, I want a painless death you know."

"Oh but we can't have any fun if it's too easy, can we?" Monty's grin stretched wider, his eyes sparkling with mischief. "Dazai, my dear, it seems now your fate rests on the prowess of your companion here. How delightful!"

Dazai's calm demeanor remained unshaken, and he let out a smirk on his face. "I have faith in (Y/N) abilities. After all, she's quite adept at surprising us."

"Dazai-san, I'm glad to hear the trust you have in me, but, shouldn't you think about your situation ?!" You exclaimed.

Monty then turned toward you, his gaze fixated. "Now, now dear (Y/N), let's focus and get back from where we where. Now, we will have more fun!"

With a finger snap, he let appear a timer indicating ten minutes. "I will explain the rule of the game, you will have ten minutes to show me what you can do until I'm satisfied. Otherwise, after the time is up, the bubble will be filled entirely with water and your colleague will not be able to breathe and will drown after maybe... let's see... between one to five minutes if he is in good shape."

"You are crazy!" You shouted at him.

"Thanks for the compliment," he bowed at you with a smile and then stood up happily. "So, without further ado, let the game begin!" He then snapped again his finger, activating the timer and letting appear flowing water inside the bubble, "Do your best to survive my attack for the next ten minutes!"