Chapter 10 : The flowers path

Beginne am Anfang

You nodded, grateful for his presence that helped you regain your composure. Still shaking a little but with renewed determination, you observe the corpse and then notice something.

"Strange..." you mumble.

Dazai look at you, curiosity in his eyes, "Did you find something ?"

You looked at him, "Strangely, the victim is completly drenched but there's no trace of any source of water around where she could have drowned."

"Yeah, you're right." Dazai said surprised as he looked around.

"Do we know any information about the victim or what his ability was ?" you asked.

"No, the only information we have is his cause of death. But from what I can see, the time of death can be estimated at between two and three days based on the color of his pupils and the state the corpse is."

You sighed "Just that, doesn't help at all."

"Maybe we should take a look at that", he showed the plastic bag that was in his pocket with the flower in it, "Maybe that could lead us to something."

"Let me see." you reach out and take the plastic bag from him.

"Do you know this flower ?" Dazai asked curiosly as you looked at it.

"I worked part-time at a flower shop one time and learned some basics on them." you replied casually, making him interested in what you just said.

As he prepared to question you further, you finished inspecting the bloodied flower and recognized it. "It's a begonia flower," you affirmed.

Dazai stopped his thoughts and rised an eyebrow, "A begonia?"

"Yes, in the flower language, it signifies cordiality or sincere friendship."

"It's like the murderer is sneding us his greetings."

"Yeah, but I wonder why..." you paused, "Wait, we have other similar cases, and each time, a different flower were discovered near a body no ?"

Dazai understood where you were getting at. "So you mean-"

"It could be an entire message the murder conveyed to us.", you said with growing confidence, "Was this the first body discovered ?"

He nodded, "Yeah."

"Then, let's gather the flowers that were found at each crime scene in the order the bodies were discovered. Maybe by arranging them that way, we can uncover the hidden message or pattern the murderer is trying to convey."

"Good thinking, (Y/N). So let's get started." Dazai's voice was filled with determination. "We have a lead to follow."

Empowered by your newfound insights, you and Dazai embarked on an extensive and methodical investigation of each crime scene. Your shared objective was to unearth hidden clues and detect recurring patterns that could potentially unveil the motive and the elusive identity of the ruthless killer.

The second murder mirrored the haunting tableau you had encountered earlier – the somber backdrop remained consistent, with only a minor deviation in the time of death and the introduction of a distinct flower: a white pansy. The flower's cryptic message, "I think of you with respect," bestowed a chilling layer of eerie significance upon the already enigmatic case. Dazai's analytical gaze met yours, a silent exchange that conveyed a shared sentiment – the killer was orchestrating each murder with meticulous precision, using flowers as both a macabre signature and an encrypted message.

As you transitioned to the subsequent crime scenes, the familiarity of the circumstances escalated your sense of concern. The third and fourth victims exhibited telltale signs of poisoning, yet their bodies bore no discernible external wounds to provide insight into how the poison had been administered. It was as if the malevolent orchestrator had infiltrated their lives with stealth and executed their nefarious scheme without leaving any trace of their presence.