Teddy found his way towards the bathrooms which were located for the night within the town hall building. He passed by several people he knew as he went and waved in a friendly manner. It wasn't everyday the whole town got out, but when they did he realized just how many people he knew there. Living at the church had that benefit, he supposed.

In the bathroom, he splashed some water on his face before staring at his reflection in the mirror for a moment. He wasn't ugly, in fact Teddy was far from it, but sometimes when he looked in the mirror he saw himself that way anyway. Looking back at him was a boy who looked a few years younger than his actual age, with large blue doe eyes and shiny blonde hair. His complexion was clear, sparing his many freckles, and his cheeks and nose were flushed red from washing his face. No, he had a pleasurable reflection only he couldn't often see.

His eyes were trained to the bandage that wrapped stupidly around his head. He looked ridiculous in it, he looked like a child. He really did want to be faithful to Fr. Charles, but he just could not bring himself to wear that hideous thing all night. He unwrapped his head quickly and stuffed the bandage in his back pocket.

When he looked back at himself he thought it was only a little better than before, but was still glad to have it off regardless.

Teddy slipped back out of the bathroom and onto the crowded street to find that he'd lost sight of Julie and Damien completely. As kind as Julie was, this was a relief. He could finally pretend he was just another normal teenager and not someone who needed a babysitter to go to a party.

Mr. O'Connor stood not far from him at the baked goods stand and Teddy decided he might as well pay the man a visit and see if he needed any help. It wasn't as if he was going to be missing out on all the friends for the night.

"Evening' Teddy!" Mr. O'Connor called. He was serving Mrs. Sullivan a cinnamon donut, but there was no line behind her. "How are you?"

"Very well," Teddy smiled, going over to meet the man behind his stand. It was nothing more than a few folding tables, but they were covered with some of the most mouth watering creations the boy had ever seen. "How are you?"

"The same," The man smiled. He was dressed in a cream sweater and navy vest with a gray cap covering his head. "I think this festival just gets lovelier every year."

"Well it'd be even lovelier if they'd taken my suggestion about the chrysanthemums." Mrs. Sullivan added, handing Mr. O'Connor the money for her treat. "I told him mums, mums, mums. It's an autumn festival, you've just gotta have mums. But no! Fr. Charles said we didn't have enough room in the budget for mums."

"Now Mrs. Sullivan, I won't have you speak poorly of the priest. The money we make here's for charity. You can't blame a man for wanting to give as much as he can," He winked at Teddy cheerfully. Mr. O'Connor knew Teddy wouldn't like to hear her insult Fr. Charles.

"But it's an investment!" She cried. "Mark my words, if we had mums this street would be packed with tourists. We'd easily make triple the money as last year."

"Alright Mrs. Sullivan, whatever you say," Mr. O'Connor relented knowing he was in a fight he'd be unable to win. "You just try to enjoy your night?"

"Well thank you for that, but I'm not sure how I can do it without mums," She mumbled.

"I'm sure you'll find a way," He placated her as she walked off with a little smile. She may have crowned herself the victor of the argument, but Mr. O'Connor was greatly entertained. "So Teddy, what are you doing here hanging out with the old cronies? You should hang out with people your own age and have a nice time."

"I don't know many people here."

"I doubt that! I bet there ain't one face out in the crowd you haven't seen before," He recollected himself. "Say, I just saw Damien and Julie here a moment ago. Weren't you supposed to be hanging around with them for the night?"

"Fr. Charles told Damien to watch me," Teddy quipped. "But they're on a date."

"So you're hiding out here?" He ascertained and Teddy nodded grimly. "Well your secret's safe with me, and you're welcome to hang out with me for a while if you like, but eventually I'm gonna send you out with the rest of the kids."

"Thank you."

....

Teddy remained with Mr. O'Connor as long as he could muster until he was finally obliged to go out and attempt to have a nice time. For as much as the boy had longed to go to the festival he had neglected the fact that such an event was much more pleasurable with good company than by oneself.

Warm yellow light poured from the windows of the homes and shops that lined Main Street, accented by the candles and fairy lights that interconnected the streets in a glowing tapestry. It was a warm night for Autumn, but comfortable for dancing, and the music echoed throughout the whole of the town.

Helping Mr. O'Connor hand out baked goods was a welcome distraction, but as Teddy drifted further into the crowd of people he felt invisible and unnoticed. The dance floor was not far from Mr. O'Connor's stand and Teddy wandered over there in something of a haze trying to avoid being stepped on or pushed out of the way. By the time he reached the dance floor he had already forgotten why he'd gone over there in the first place and felt utterly lost.

Teenagers, whose parents were mainly in the beer tent, exalted in the low level of supervision they had and engaged in all manner of activity. Many flew across the dance floor romantically pushed into each other, more stood round the perimeter drinking suspicious substances from glass bottles, others just enjoyed the atmosphere, faces bright with glee. Teddy was jealous of them all, so happy and carefree, and he wished he could put aside himself and just go have a nice time.

It was difficult, though, because all the people were his classmates and peers. They knew him and they judged him. If he were to approach the happy drinkers they'd suddenly feel the need to hide their bottles as if he'd run right home and tell on them. The couples would pop apart and the glee would fade. Instantly, Teddy thought, if he went on the dance floor he'd ruin the atmosphere.

So Teddy sat on the curb and watched from a distance where he couldn't possibly hurt anything. He let his saddened head sit on his hand as people spun by in a rainbow of colors. He could see Julie and Damien in the crowd. Damien's face for once had a smile as he dipped Julie down. When she came back up Teddy got a good view of her face. She was flushed, if only from the makeup, but she did appear happy.

He was jealous of her for having a partner to dance with. It wasn't often that Teddy longed to be in a romantic relationship, but occasionally it seemed as if it might provide some benefits. Damien looked handsome in his purple shirt, even if he wasn't always the kindest, and Teddy could almost picture what Julie might see in him. With the music so loud he couldn't open his mouth and all that was left was a pretty face.

Teddy watched on for a while in silent resentment. There was little to disturb him as everyone else was preoccupied, but after some time the hair on his neck began to stand up and he got a peculiar feeling in his stomach. It was as if... as if somebody was watching him.

Sitting up slowly, he looked around for only a moment until he caught the eyes of someone across the room. Suddenly it was as if time had stopped and the music quieted around him. All he could hear was the pounding of his heart. All he could see was this boy, or man rather, who stood tall above those around him. Everything else faded into the background. Teddy knew nearly everyone in town, but he was sure— positive— that he had never met this man before. There was something so new and exciting about him, something that couldn't be filed away into one of a thousand friendly meetings.

He had sharp features that were chiseled even at so great a distance as being across the room. And dark brown hair which parted in the middle and allowed a clear view of his strapping face. His eyes, though Teddy was sure he shouldn't be able to see them, took on a distinctive pink color that must have been nothing more than a reflection of the lights.

He made Teddy feel giddy, made him feel awake... made him feel alive. So handsome a man almost shouldn't be real, but there he was looking right at Teddy.