Chapter 9

EAMON'S POV

I paced back and forth in the dimly lit study, holding a glass of whisky in my palm. My heart hammered against my chest, anxiety clawing at my thoughts. The rescue operation had taken longer than expected, and every second that passed without news about Isadora's safety only intensified my worry.

Victor sat in a chair nearby, pouring himself a drink, the bottle on the table, his typically stern expression etched with concern. The tension in the room was palpable, and the minutes felt like an eternity.

"Where are they?" I muttered, my voice edged with frustration. "They should have returned by now."

Victor, unhappy about not leading the rescue, spoke up. "Eamon, we have to trust Luka and the others. They're doing everything they can to bring Isadora back safely."

I ran a hand through my hair, the worry etched across my features. "I know, Victor, but I can't help but feel this overwhelming sense of dread. Isadora's life is in danger, and I should be out there with them."

Before Victor could respond, the door to my study burst open, and a group of pack guards rushed in, carrying Isadora's unconscious form. My heart leaped into my throat as I saw her pale and still, her condition far worse than I had feared.

"Isadora!" I exclaimed, rushing to her side, my panic taking over. "What happened? Is she okay?"

The guards gently laid her on the couch, and I noticed the bruises and scratches on her face, evidence of the ordeal she had endured. My hands trembled as I reached out to touch her, relief flooding through me when I felt the faint pulse of her heartbeat.

"She's traumatized, Alpha," one of the guards reported, his voice filled with urgency. "She passed out amidst our escape. We rescued her with this young lady named Lisa, but we were detected by Alpha Jack's pack as we tried escaping. We couldn't save everyone."

My blood ran cold at the mention of Alpha Jack. I've had enough with his nonsense. I couldn't help but blame myself for not being there to protect her.

"We shall deal with that Jack ass later," I said through gritted teeth, my focus solely on Isadora's well-being.

"Right now, we need to get her the medical attention she needs."

Victor nodded, taking charge as he always did in times of crisis. "I'll summon the pack doctor immediately."

As Victor left the room to make the necessary arrangements, I remained by Isadora's side, my heart heavy with worry. She was so still, so fragile, and I couldn't bear the thought of losing her.

I knelt by her side, gently taking her hand in mine, and whispered words of reassurance, even though she couldn't hear me in her unconscious state.

"Hang in there, Isadora. You're strong, and so is our baby. We'll get through this together."

The pack nurse arrived with a sense of urgency, and I watched as she immediately got to work, running a thorough check-up on Isadora. Every passing second felt like an eternity, my anxiety growing with each examination. I had to know that both Isadora and our child were alright.

As the nurse worked, her face remained composed and focused, betraying nothing of her findings. Finally, after what felt like an eternity, she stepped back, her expression softening.

"Isadora is stable, Alpha Eamon," she informed me.

"And the baby appears to be unharmed, but we'll continue to monitor them closely," she added.

Relief washed over me, a weight I hadn't even realized I was carrying lifted from my shoulders. I offered the nurse a grateful nod before turning my attention to Isadora, who still lay fast asleep.