Chapter 6

ISADORA POV

As we finally reached the outskirts of Aleoria, the neighboring town, our bodies were weary from the long run. Lisa and I knew we needed a moment of respite. We slowed our pace, our breaths still heavy, and took in the sight of the town with a mixture of relief and caution.

"Let's find a place to rest for a while," Lisa suggested, her voice slightly breathless. "We can't keep running like this; besides, your condition demands it."

I nodded in agreement, my heart grateful for the chance to catch our breath. As we walked into the town, the curious gaze of its inhabitants fell upon us. I could feel their eyes studying us, assessing the strangers who had ventured into their midst. We walked through the streets, searching for a place where we could find rest and refuge-a quiet corner where we could sit down and gather our thoughts.

As we settled in a small inn, I turned to Lisa, curiosity tugging at my thoughts. "Lisa, can I ask you something? How did you end up living as a rogue in the woods? What's your story?"

Lisa's gaze turned distant; her eyes were clouded with memories. "It's not a story I like to share often," she began, her voice tinged with a hint of sadness. "I was once part of a pack, a place that should have been my home. But things took a different turn."

I listened intently, sensing the pain behind her words. "What happened?" I asked.

"I was rejected by my own alpha, the one who was supposed to be my mate," Lisa said, her voice cracking with emotion. "He called me ugly and unworthy of being by his side. It shattered me."

My heart ached as I tried to imagine the pain she must have felt. To be rejected by someone who should have cherished and protected her was a cruel fate.

"I'm so sorry, Lisa," I said softly, reaching out to touch her hand. "No one deserves to be treated that way."

Lisa offered me a small smile, her eyes glistening with unshed tears. "It was a difficult time, but it led me to where I am now. Living as a rogue, I've learned to rely on myself and find strength in my own abilities."

I admired Lisa's resilience and determination. Despite the hardships she had faced, she had carved out a life for herself, one where she could be independent and free.

"I'm glad you were there to help me today," I said sincerely. "You've shown me kindness when I needed it the most, and I won't forget that."

Lisa nodded, her expression softening. "We're in this together, Isadora. We'll find a way to navigate whatever challenges come your way."

"From your mouth to the ears of the moon goddess, my dear. By the way, how did you meet your boyfriend, if you don't mind me asking?"

Lisa's expression shifted, a mixture of hesitation and regret crossing her features. "Meeting him was... complicated," she began, her voice tinged with a hint of sadness. "He wasn't always like this, you know."

I listened intently, sensing that there was more to the story than met the eye. "What do you mean?"

"We met when I was still part of my original pack; he used to be my brother's best friend in high school, until I got rejected," Lisa explained. "He was charming, confident, and seemed to genuinely care about me. At the time, I believed he was the one who could heal the wounds of the rejection I had suffered."

I nodded, understanding the allure of finding someone who appeared to offer love and acceptance after experiencing heartbreak. "But something changed?"

Lisa's gaze turned distant; her eyes were clouded with memories. "Over time, he became more possessive and controlling. He wanted me to rely on him completely, to the point where he started making decisions for me. It became suffocating."