Chapter 16: Moon

Since ancient times, the moon and the sun were considered two forces that heavenly balanced eachother. The sun, a more masculine deity that shone bright on the day and made greenlife prosper. The moon, feminine, with her pale dim light made it possible to walk in the night, and pulled the waves of the sea.

But that, was nothing more than a fickle lie.

As technology advanced, the true colors of their dynamic were revealed.
The moon is nothing more than a sad gloomy rock who orbits the earth. Its only light being reflected from the sun.

Yet, moths at night use that reflected light to navigate the sky.
In an ironic twist of fate, I felt exactly like those insects.
Aiming fom my dream, unaware it would've led me to the brightest of the stars. Endeavor.

-

We were both in his office working silently on our tasks. Endeavor at his desks, checking his computer in goofy, unoptimized manners.
Heh, what a boomer.
I gave him a look whilst working on my laptop, smiling briefly at the sight.
He noticed, rising up his voice like a profound lament.

"What's that."
"Nothing."

He kept staring at me, as if he had something to add, but gnawing on when bringing it up.
But then he cut at it shortly.

"Y/N, what's this?"
He brought up his hand, holding my notebook.
"Oh, that's where it went..."
"Stop messing around. You wrote a lot of sensible information about my agency in there."
"I take notes to help myself with work, what's so strange?"
"Do I have to spell it out for you?"

I clearly knew what he was referring to. But I wanted to hear from him.
Maybe that would've helped with teaching him to communicate better, and not expecting others to just spill everything out because scared of his unnerving presence.

My silence hit a nerve, so he resumed in an even more intimidating tone.

"A lot of the things you wrote have nothing to do with your work. Now, if I didn't knew you, I'd just assume you were some kind of spy and sent you straight to the police handcuffed."
"It may have nothing to do with work, but my dream is still the same. I want to be a hero one day, and knowing all the inner workings of a hero agency is like studying on the field."

I calmy gave my explanation to the massive fire golem that was Endeavor. While he cooled down a bit, he still looked quite annoyed in hearing my intent, as if I was making fun of the hero duty.

"You think information alone will bring you anywhere?"
"No. But it's a solid platform of launch."
"Nonsense. You've already been under two villain attacks and you still want to play hero? Do you wanna kill yourself that badly?"

I was happy to see he was getting better at externalizing his thoughts. Sadly for him, he chose to fight an unwinnable debate.

"It's not just about you having a weak quirk, it's that said quirk happens to make your body lighter to support your flight abilities, thus, you're way frailer than the average adult. Even a good landed punch from a quirkless person in training could straight up kill you."

Now, his voice started to shift in a more worried abeit still authoritarian pitch.

"Wow. Did you make a research on the Moth quirk? I'm flattered."
"Save your silly comments. Just tell me why you insist on this abysmal ambition."

Admittedly, I was really touched. The man that some weeks ago didn't care if I lived or died, suddenly got out of his way to try and make me change my mind.
Such efforts deserved a sincere response, so I poured all my heart in those words.

"You may be right. I'll probably never be a hero. But... Being a hero, and aiming to be one. They may as well be the same thing to me... Hah, I don't know how to explain it better, it may be one of those " The journey is the same as the destination" type of thing? I just have this certainty; I was born to reach for beautiful things, no matter how impossible they may appear... if I were to suddenly stop, life would feel like a chore."

Endeavor stood petrified, unable to formulate an answer. For him, what I just said, was against everything he ever believed in.
He was a stone cold realist, who abandoned his dream in the hope his son could realize it for him. But once, a long time ago...
He too, no matter the challenge, tried something impossible for the sake of it.
His hero name a sad reminder of that now extinguished flame.

He hated it. He bit his lip so strong, blood flowed all over his chin.

He understood me, but without ever admitting it.

All he could murmur, was-

"Don't die."

I walked closer to him, cleaning the blood on his lips and chin with a tissue.

"I won't die."

-

"Please... Please....Have pity, I didn't know it was y-"
Dozens of snake heads just mauled down the man, killing him almost instantly. A poddle of blood and flesh was left behind to rot.

"What a world. So you should respect a lady only if you are terrified of her getting back at you?

In a lonely parking spot, a woman lurked in the shadows...
Her head wrapped in a moving mass of snakes, not a single feature of her face was visible. Yet, she wore an outfit so costly, akin of that of an empress.

"Can't help it... men are soo disgusting."