Chapter 13: Dinner

As morning set it, I made my way into the agency once again.
I was greeted by a man covered in bandages, there was little left visible of his face, yet his worried look was obvious.

"Hi Y/N...Weren't you injured?"
"Oh, hello Kido. Yeah but nothing that could chain me at home."
"Mhh- What did the boss say?"
" «Don't come... if you want.»"

The man held his laugh at my perfect Endeavor impression.

An energetic voice in the distance called us, her green flaming hair visible even from far away.

"Yo! Kido, Y/N- Y/N! Don't tell me you're planning on coming every three days each time with a different bone broken."

We all chuckled.

"You caught me. Well, see you around and tell the others hi for me."

I was kind of quick on my feet to reach Endeavor's office, I wondered if they noticed.

-

"So, you think they're fucking?"
Kido almost choked on his coffee.
"Burnin! Our boss is married."
"Spare me. They are basically on divorce terms!"
"... Don't think so anyway. They've known each other for, what, a week?"
"Bah. I just can't think of any other way for the boss to keep him around. Don't get me wrong, I love Y/N and all, but a secretary is not as necessary to a hero, especially when said secretary is not even a fighter!"
"I think... You're a fujoshi."
"Say what?"
"Oh! It's time to go on patrol."
"Come back Kido. Repeat it to my face!"

-

"Hi boss, here's your coffee, and a bun."

He turned towards me, his turquoise eyes widening for a brief second.

"So... You came."

He almost muttered those words.
Endeavor was different that morning, for starters, he was not wearing his hero costume. He was in an elegant grey suit, which communicated well the idea of "career man".

With only us in the office, he turned down his flame mask, showing me the handsome features I treasured.
He picked up the bun making it disappear inside his mouth in barely two bites.

"He eats so fast!"

I thought to myself.

I lent him the bag I was holding with my other hand, he grabbed it firmly as he knew already what it contained.
His repaired hero costume.
Yeah that day I had quite the busy morning.
I had to stop at a support company that specialized in hero costumes to retrieve Endeavor's one, which was in shreds after the fight with Cadejo.

He had planned to retrieve it himself since he thought I would not come to work. Looks like I was faster.

"Good."

It's all he said. The me from a week ago would've thought "Such an ungrateful snot." but I was starting to understand that type of communication, or better, the lack of it.
It's not that he was ungrateful, he was simply not used to showing it.

Then he suddenly prickled me. On my wound.
I emitted a silly squeak of pain.

"It hurts?"
"Of course it does!"
"Then why did you come to work."
"Because it doesn't hurt when a two meters tall wall of muscles doesn't prickle me."

I spoke almost as if I forgot he was my boss.
What came next was a long dry silence.

"... You're so sensitive."
"Or maybe you're too indelicate?"

The fire on his face suddenly came on, but I already saw right through him.

"You'll be late, boss."
"I know."

He said in a gruff and sore tone.
Before closing the door, he added.

"Once I'm back, we'll resume."
And with his hero costume on hand, he left the room.

That left me curious, to say the least.

It was a cloudy day, rain was probably soon to fall. I spent the entirety of it alone in that depressing office. It looked both costly and professional but could've used some decorations.

I was a great appreciator of art in all of its forms, so I began thinking of choosing a series of paintings with Endeavor to brighten the place.

Suddenly I was daydreaming of bringing him to an art museum. Like a date- 

I smiled a little. 

But the ringing of the line phone brought me back to reality.

"Good evening, this is Endeavor's agency, I'm Y/N. How may I assist you?"
"I- Uh well this is awkward..."

On the other end of the line, my interlocutor sported a kind voice. She sounded like a girl in her twenties.

"I'm Fuyumi, I thought dad was in his office since he isn't answering his phone..."

Now everything made sense, and I had to contain my excitement in talking directly with one of the Todorokis.

"Oh, don't worry, I'm sure your father - the boss, is just chasing some villain down. You can tell me what you wanted from him, he's gonna return soon anyway."

"Honestly I didn't know dad even had a secretary... it's kind of a private matter, I'm not sure I should-"

"Me and your dad are like the best of buddies! Don't worry, he gave me this delicate position because he trusts me."

Okay,  maybe that was kind of dishonest on my part, but I had to know his family, his skeletons in the closet.
Even before her daughter answered, my mind sew up a little plan.

"You two are... Friends? Dad has a friend? Wow... this is... new?"

"Yes, but maybe we could go into the details another time, work comes first. What did you want to tell him?"

"Actually... "

-

Some hours after, a slightly worn out Endeavor returned in his office, while I was scheduling some of his appointments. He faked a cough, as if to signal his presence in the room. We had an argument to finish, after all.

"Oh, welcome back boss. Your daughter called and invited us for dinner."

"Mph." He scoffed. Then the realization sunk in.

"What?"