Chapter 7: Warmth

The police was quick to arrive and take the unconscious villain away. Her name was Akira Hisakawa, a long forgotten TV hostess, who now streamed small scale crimes for the once lost fame. Luckily, the damage she inflicted wasn't as bad as it seemed.
In fact, the more far she was taken from her victims, the more her quirk weakened till its effect vanished.

"Why didn't you call?"

Endeavor towered over me with his usual frown. However, a glimpse of softness emerged from his imposing glare as it shifted on my injury.

I showed him my broken phone.
He nodded.

Then, before I could say a word, he lifted my whole body up in his arms, like a bridal carry.
My cheek was resting on his pec, turning pinkish from a mixture of heat and embarrassment.

"W-What are you doing boss?"

The big man looked confused, alien to my awkardness.

"You're hurt, I'm taking you to the hospital."

"Thank you, but I can still walk."

At my words two flames propelled the man in the sky at jet-fast speed.

"It's faster this way."

At the hospital, my injury was treated. Bandages wrapped my shoulder tight, for some days I had to be careful with moving it.
On my way out of the building, I saw a tall and defined profile, like that of the statue of a greek god.

"Boss, there was no need to wait for me."

He scoffed, then handing out a little cardboard box.

Intrigued, I opened it, only to find a brand new phone.

I was at a loss of words, but even before thanking Endeavor, I gave him a look. He was avoiding eye contact with me, so I launched the hook.

"Don't tell me boss, you actually feel responsible for what happened!"

At that point his grumpy turquoise eyes became even grumpier.
I closed mine, smiling.

"No way, I'm right aren't I?"
"Cut that out."

As it was night, his flames shone even brighter.
But this time still wasn't as blinding as others.
It was a comfy, warm light. I felt an inch of safety by just being around him.

"Thank you for everything, Endeavor."

I spoke those words like a song.

"... Don't come to work tomorrow if you don't feel like it."

He said it as he took off like a rocket.

Once again, he looked like a star in the firmament. Beautiful.

-

"So, you almost got murdered on your first day of work? Could've been worse I guess."

My guide spoke nonchalantly as their shadowy fingers were pressing on the joycon. They were playing Hollow Knight on my PS4.

"Were you not listening, like, at all?"
"Eh, I guess you also got a crush for your tyrannical boss."
"I did not get a crush for Endeavor, that's nuts."
"Well who can blame you. The man is packing."

I turned off the TV, gaining their attention.

"Oi, you just ruined my steelsoul run."
"Will you finally tell me what I'm supposed to do?"
"Man, you're slow on the uptake, are you? I already said you'll eventually realize."

They snapped their fingers, and the TV turned on again.

"Goddam whimsical freeloader."