Part 12

...so soon after her resolution, yet here she was in an unexpected pickle with none other than the source of her distress.

Alver didn't dare to turn to look at the unusually quiet lout as she counted the million different ways that she didn't want to be in this situation.

She hadn't even thought Cale had attended this event. She hadn't seen heads or tails of him throughout and so, she'd presumed that he had skipped out as he had so many events leading up to this point. And perhaps she'd felt a bit disappointed that she couldn't see him, just a little bit, and so she'd chosen to take a break in a nearby reception room.

All of that would have been fine and dandy if she'd chosen a normal reception room.

She was so out of sorts that she'd picked the one with the broken lock.

Should I just break the door down?

No, that would look bad for Crown Prince Alberu's image. She needed to simply patiently await her rescue. It wouldn't be long before one of her many attendants noticed she was missing and sought her out. It wouldn't be long at all.

...it was just that she would need to spend that time with the person she'd only just rejected, who had apparently been wasting his time away while drinking in private.

Damn.

"Stop overthinking it, idiot." Cale called out and the nerve of him to talk to his highness the crown prince so rudely. It was impressive that Cale hadn't lost his tongue for seditious language long before Alver ever met him. "Just have a damn seat. Don't worry, your ass is safe."

Alver blanched. She'd been considering no such thing. She turned around with her best political smile in place, feeling a bit offended on multiple levels. Alver was off balance by the situation and her feelings for Cale were confusing and that was the only reason she shot back with. "Why would I be concerned about that? You'd be the one receiving if I was ever foolhardy enough to try."

Cale nearly spit out his drink and it was worth it. Alver wore a smug smirk as she took a seat.

And then realized a second too late that her words could very easily be taken as flirtatious. In fact, they were definitely flirty. Shit. She was sending him mixed messages. Would she be forced to give him another tough rejection?

However, despite her concerns, Cale just collected himself and took another sip of his drink, muttering something about "I probably wouldn't mind that" and really, Alver just needed this stupid lout to stop saying things that got her imagination going.

It's never happening and we aren't in that sort of relationship. Change the topic.

"It was unexpected that you came to the capital, Young Master Henituse. What brought you here this time?"

Cale shrugged and Alver noticed that his cheeks were a bit pink from drinking. Dammit, this would be easier if he wasn't cute. "Father sent me."

...how surprisingly obedient of him...

Alver barely curved the urge to enquire further. The disobedient and troublesome son of Count Henituse was secretly quite obedient? Or did he just have other reasons he didn't wish to share?

Cale poured Alver a glass of what he was drinking but he was careful not to impede on Alver's personal space, leaving the glass between them for Alver to take or leave. Another surprisingly gentlemanly act.

...now that she thought about it, despite his rude tongue, Cale was surprisingly subdued. He simply sat and drank. "How about yourself, your highness? It's unusual to see you slipping away from parties."

"It's unusual for you to be a quiet drunk." Alver shot back, making it clear that she didn't intend to elaborate on her reasons.

Cale accepted the answer with a shrug and leaned back in his seat, an effortless elegance to him that really caught the eye. Ah. Hadn't it been like that when she first saw him? A surprising elegance from a drunk lout that caught her attention?

I didn't catch feelings at first sight, did I? That would be terribly mortifying.

"You know, your highness." Cale sounded contemplative as he spoke. Almost a bit melancholy. "You remind me of someone."

Alver stiffened beneath her skin.

"I think that's why I liked you so fast." He laughed and it was a bit rueful. Ah, what a terrible moment to realize his subdued attitude was likely due to heartbreak. "You remind me a lot of her."

"Why not pursue her then, rather than chasing this fruitless endeavor?" Alver couldn't help it. Perhaps it was because she couldn't completely believe that he might be talking about her but she also couldn't help but be curious.

Cale shrugged. "Let's not kid ourselves, your highness. I'm not anyone's idea of a good time."

"...you could work on your manners."

That wasn't what she wanted to say. Alver felt an upset stir in her heart, especially watching the way Cale's shoulders sank and he took another generous drink, she reached for the cup he poured for her and sipped to calm herself down.

He was a good time. Crazy and rude and unbelievably stupid, but she enjoyed her time with Cale. More than she ever wanted to admit to.

"Nah, my manners won't change." He looked wretched at the words.

"That's not the same as can't." Why was she pushing so hard? It wasn't like she would pursue him if he improved his manners. She had her own reasons that went so far beyond that.

"Can't, then." Cale said crabbily and she dropped the topic.

Silence fell over the pair and Alver was torn between her hope to have someone open that door and her desire to learn more about Cale.

It felt like one more push and she might get him to really open up.

...how cruel would that be? Cause him to open up when she would never return the favor? She sighed and sipped her drink again.

"I ain't gonna see her again anyway."

That was true. Alver nodded to herself. There would be no repeat performances of 'Bob'.

"Dammit, Leticia."

Alver dropped her drink.

Who the fuck was Leticia?!

She looked up at Cale's face and saw the eyes of a mangy mutt who finally caught his squirrel.

Shit, he definitely figured it out.

Before one more word could be shared between them, the door to the reception room opened with attendants ready to rescue Alver from his poor company.

The smug look on Cale's face really made her want to hit him but she restrained herself.

She couldn't believe she'd fallen for such a stupid trick.

She couldn't believe she'd felt so jealous of the fictitious 'Leticia'.

She really couldn't believe how hard it was to get over that stupid asshole named Cale Henituse.