i

i had been hoping to hold hands with the kid from yesterday.

her voice was a long-abandoned tourist spot yearning to be heard again. there she was, with a laughter that was music for her two left feet to dance to the rhythm of being free from all care. she enveloped herself in cherry blossoms, devouring bliss like how the dessert absorbs water. perhaps, she was hoping for sol and luna to follow her again? or has she still not loosened her grip over the lollipop stick and the hourglass of daytime?

last night, i saw her again, trying to befriend the people from the television, realizing that playmates can also be actors if she allows them to be. there she was again, embarking on sleep wars, longing to wish the red-hatted yuletide miracle this 24th of december. as she hibernated to dreamland, stardust brushed across her face like a blanket of warmth amidst a raging winter night. she was held by her mother's loving arms, lulled to sleep by her mellifluous voice and her father's bedtime tales. she was there. protected, and free from all care.

i reached, and reached — and i kept on reaching out, in hopes that someday, somewhere, she would be kind enough to never let her fingers slip through mine once again.