Chapter 21

Makayla

Ron gets to a certain placement and when it's his turn again, Harry quickly realizes, "Wait . . ."

"There's no other way," Ron says.

"Ron, no!"

"Once I make my move, you will be the one to check the king," I then realize that he's going to sacrifice himself, and make one of those cringe speeches in the process. "If we want to stop Snape from getting this stone, you need to go, Harry. Not me, not Hermione, you." I knew that we shouldn't have let the children play. "And I was reluctant at first, but I now know that Makayla is important to this too."

I am what now? After what Ron says, I feel eyes prying at the back of my head. That's not awkward at all.

"Makayla? How is a Malfoy important to this?" Hermione asks. I'm right here, man.

"I don't know . . . I just have a feeling!" Empath much?

Ron makes his move and Hermione tries to run to him after being knocked off his peg, but Harry stops her, "No! We're still playing." Harry moves across the board in front of the king and shouts, "Checkmate."

The king drops its sword and everyone runs to Ron. Everyone except Jordyn and I.

"Harry," Hermione says warily, "you and Makayla need to go . . ."

Harry looks at me, I look at him. I don't want to help, but at the same time, I do. I want to see the dark lord. It'll feel so much more real when I do.

He runs down the hall and I hesitantly follow. This final hallway leads us to a small room made of cobblestones and there's a man in front of a mirror.

"Who–" I ask before being cut off by the man turning around. "Professor Quirrell?"

"Yes, it was me!" the defense against the dark arts teacher exclaimed. "It was me who jinxed Harry's broom, it was me who unleashed that troll–"

"Wait–"

"Yes?"

"You're being one of those cringy villains from cartoons, start over."

" . . . NO."

"No?"

"NO I WILL NOT START OVER, I PLANNED THAT SPEECH FOR WEEKS, DAMN IT."

"Okay," I chuckle.

He takes a deep breath until a soft, weak voice says, "Let me see the children."

"My lord you aren't strong enough," Professor Quirrell says, responding to the voice.

"Just do it!"

Quarrell turns around and starts undoing the cloth that is wrapped around his head. Once the cloth is fully off, Harry and I are disgusted to see a face growing on the back of Professor Quarrell's head. Yuck.

"Voldemort?" Harry says.

That's when I realize that Harry is right. It is Voldemort! Or at least . . . part of him.

"Give me the stone."

"I–I don't have it!"

I look at the mirror as Voldemort and Harry argue. All I see is us, but I am moving. I pull out a red, gem-like rock from my back pocket, and when I touch that pocket, I feel the rock there. The only feeling I feel at the moment is shock. At least until Voldemort finally acknowledges me.

"Malfoy, is there a reason you are here?"

He knows my name . . . How does he know my name? "You–You know my name?"

"Yes, yes, I do know your name Makayla. I know your whole family."

"How . . ."

"You know how," Professor Quirrell then walks toward me, so close that I have to look up to see that he's towering over me.

"Do you know where the Sorcerer's Stone is?"

"No . . ."

"Don't lie," he says, smiling creepily, then he tries to put his hands on my face as he says, "DON'T LIE!" His hand turns into stone as he yelps, "WHAT IS THIS MAGIC?"

He tries to run and grab Harry with his other hand, but Harry touches his face and his face begins to turn to stone, as well as the rest of his body. Then he falls to the ground, turning to dust on the ground and black smoke rushes out of what once was his body and runs through Harry and I, causing us to fall. Harry goes unconscious and I can positively feel an injured bone somewhere in my arm. Ouch, I guess.