magic shop wonders

"say, do you come here often?"

taehyung snapped his head up, lifting his eyes from the job offers displayed on the screen of his laptop, and choked up. he jerked back against the chair just when kim jennie leaned forward, elbows resting on the tabletop across from taehyung.

there was just no way.

no way kim jennie was sitting in front of him in magic shop café when taehyung had shot a dagger through her heart and watched her die the night before.

jennie grinned, sharp like a mocking cat. "oh, i bet you thought you wouldn't see me again this soon," she said, tilting her head to the side in a mocking way and then lowering her voice. "should i have stayed dead a little longer?"

"you can't be alive," taehyung said, his voice breathy with confusion—and fear. "i buried you."

jennie let out a low hum. "wrong. you didn't even have the decency to bury me," she corrected, making a stupid pouty expression. "it wasn't really nice of you to drag me through those woods and then leave me there to die, you know? do you know how hard it is to wash dirt and soil out of hair?"

the last time they saw each other, taehyung in fact had dumped jennie's body in the forest to get consumed by the sunlight and burn to ash. her skin was gray, then, venom lines branching out on her face, eyes bulging out with confusion—blood-red; her appearance had been a stark contrast to the satisfied smirk she was sporting now, to the healthy look of her skin, to her soft brown eyes.

taehyung shut the lid of his laptop, glancing around them although no other patron of the cafe seemed to pay any attention to the noise.

"why aren't you dead?" he hissed out stupidly.

her grin only widened. "wouldn't you like to know, darling?"

he ignored the comment, clenching his jaw and combing through his knowledge to rationalize why the vampire he had killed the night before was sitting across from him with the most smug expression taehyung had ever seen on anyone.

the only explanation he could come up with in all his astonishment was that jennie must have been even more of an abomination than a regular vampire. and that only left being an original.

the originals were the first generation of vampires. they were the oldest, fastest, strongest, and most powerful vampires in the world. regular weapons didn't work on them, and it was still a mystery to most what could actually kill them. and they were known to have been scattered across the world, avoiding any interactions with hunters—meanwhile jennie walked into this cafe knowing she would find taehyung inside, and she was clearly a resident of this city, not just a passerby.

how come no one had ever spread the word about an original venturing through the streets of seoul?

something cold crept up taehyung's neck, but he refused to be intimidated. after all, he had killed this woman, and he could do it once again—many, many times, until it finally worked. he swallowed the lump building up in his throat, all the fear that had made it hard to focus, and met jennie's gaze head-on.

"what do you want from me?" he asked. "you should have fled when you had the chance. when i thought you were dead."

the smirk on her face didn't falter. "but i've wanted to meet you for so long," she said casually. "you're quite the spectacle among us vampires. it's just a pity i didn't connect the dots yesterday."

his hand curled itself into a tight fist under the table. he wanted to bash jennie's stupidly perfect teeth in, even if that wouldn't have killed her, but he was all too aware that they weren't there alone.

"i'm not going to talk to you," taehyung said. "you better crawl back into whatever hellhole you crawled out of, kim, before i grab my dagger and this time make sure you stay dead."

jennie laughed. cheerful and delighted, as if it was all just a game to her. she leaned closer over the table and said, "good luck with that."

taehyung scoffed. they both knew no dagger or gun he had on hand would ensure jennie was dead for good, but if the one from last night kept her unconscious for a few hours, then it would have been enough—at least for a short moment.

taehyung didn't have the patience for that. he started gathering his things—shoved his laptop into his bag, grabbed his plastic cup of unfinished iced-americano off the table, and slung the strap over his shoulder.

keeping his jaw set, he didn't spare her another look, but at the same time wasn't surprised when she followed him out of magic shop.

he wouldn't consider himself to be someone who is fearful of vampires, but he couldn't help but feel the terror run through his veins at the thought of such a powerful vampire hounding him back home.

but jennie didn't.

she stepped out onto the street behind taehyung and said, "i'm feeling like it's not the last time we're seeing each other, hunter," and then she turned on her heel, heading in the opposite direction.

taehyung wanted to throw a dagger into her back. wanted to stab her and watch her bleed out. but they were in the middle of the street, and kim jennie was strolling down the sidewalk with a smile on her face and head tilted up to bathe in the sun without a single care in the world.