The Chosen One

The sun shines through your blinds waking you from your sleep. You pull the covers over your head hoping for a few more minutes of sleep. Your eyes shut and your mind drifts away before you feel a tapping on your forehead.
"Violet...tap tap... Violet wake up" a gently voice says.

I roll over ignoring my brother. "5 more minutes" I grown.
"Violet it's been 20 minutes. We're gonna be late." He says grabbing my shoulder and shaking me a bit. I groan lifting the blankets off my body and rolling off the bed thudding on the floor.
"Very mature of you." He scoffs.
"What do you want from me. I'm tiredddd" I wailed slowly getting up off the floor. James turned around and left the room telling me, "hurry up and get dressed." before he left.

I opened my closet looking for a nice outfit. Today was an important day. A ceremony was held every year, in every town across the country for our goddess ymir. One man gets the honor of being sent to paradise and live in luxury with the goddess ymir. It's said that ymir picks the most attractive men and desirable men to shower with riches and attention. It was tradition to dress as nice as possible for the ceremony and celebrate the chosen one.

I shuffled through my clothes and picked out the nicest dress I owned. I just turned 18 so it would be my first year attending the party. I picked out this dress at a boutique just for this event.

 I picked out this dress at a boutique just for this event

I slipped on the dress tying the corset lace in the back. With little time to do my hair I stepped in front of my mirror brushing my hair letting it flow to my shoulder.

I step into the hallway James waiting for me patiently. "You ready?" He asks. I shake my head yes grabbing his hand and walking down the stairs. James and I were always like this. Joined at the hip, best friends, twinergy all things we've been called, all things we were. We ce to the base of the steps our parents sitting at the dining room table. My mother's fingers tapped on the table and her leg bounced nervously. She stood up surprised looking at the two of us. Our father stood in the corner rubbing his chin and thinking intently. Mom walked towards James and gave him a hug.
"Good luck my boy." The way she said it sent a shiver up my spine. She sounded nervous. Wasn't going to paradise a good thing? Our father came forward placing his hand on James shoulder. He didn't say anything, he just stared at him and nodded curtly before bear hugging him and slapping his back. My mom's eyes started watering but she choked back her tears and smiled.
"You two better get going now. Don't want to be late for your first selection." My mom said nudging us to the door.

James grabbed the handle opening the door and stepped outside. I followed behind him thinking about why Mom was crying. Or why dad stayed silent. We walked to the center of town my feet beginning to ache in the heels from the walking. As if he read my mind James turned his head telling me, "don't worry we're almost there." His voice sounded somber and anxious.
"James are you alright?" I asked morbidly confused and curious why everyone seemed off about our first ceremony. As if a switch flipped he turned around a stupid grin on his face.
"I'm fine Violet." He said before grabbing my waist and throwing me over his shoulder. Confused I let out a playful scream and he laughed at my surprise.
"What are you doing put me down!" I yelled.
"Oh shut up we're almost there and you'll want to save your ogre feet for the dance floor. After all every guy in town will be there. Maybe you'll finally get a boyfriend." He teased.
"Oh shut up. I could get a boyfriend whenever I wanted." I huffed
"Then why haven't you?" He pressed.
"Because boys are stupid." I said blowing a raspberry. He rolled his eyes setting me back down on the ground. In front of us stood city hall. Hundreds of people from the ages of 18-24 started flooding the area. The party would last from sun up, till sundown. Then the next day they chosen one would be sent to Paradise. I smiled at James and grabbed his hand walking into the giant building.