Chapter 9. Various pains and remedies

'Snork! Open the door!' demanded Little My shouting.

'Alright, I'm coming!' they heard him say, his steps sounding progressively louder.

'Well, hello everyone. What are you doing here? I'm very busy' he said, wiping some sweat from his forehead with a handkerchief.

'Snorkmaiden told us that you've got a surprise for Moomin' explained Little My.

'And I specified that it was for Moomin's eyes only' emphasized Snorkmaiden.

'Indeed! And it's not finished yet, actually it's only a miniature and a few blueprints, but I've been working on different ideas. Is Moomin coming now?' he asked looking around.

'He's ill, I think' replied Sniff. 'But can we see the surprise? I promise not to say a word!' he said eagerly.

'Oh, no, I am afraid you will have to wait until I speak to him and do the appropriate changes. I expect it is nothing too serious' said Snork.

'It's not, don't worry Snork... He just needs some rest' answered Snorkmaiden with a tint of sadness.

'Alright, in that case...'

'Why can't we see what you've got for him?' asked Little My.

'Well, it's a birthday present, you know? I want it to be a double surprise. Once he learns about it and second when he sees it finished!' explained proudly. 'Which reminds me, I have not much time left until August to do it all, so could you tell him to come and visit me as soon as he can, Little My?'

'I'll surely speak to him. I want to know what's that so called surprise of yours!' assured Little My.

'Me too!' agreed Sniff.

'Do you think you'll be able to bring Moommin here tomorrow?' asked Snork looking at his sister.

Snorkmaiden hesitated, but then said: 'I guess it's possible, but we might need to find a way lift his spirit'

'Why don't you make something nice to eat? Maybe a soup or a cake, and you could give me the leftovers' said Sniff, already imagining the taste of it.

'Why must you always think of your stomach?' asked Little My.

'At least I'm giving ideas!', he replied.

'I bet Moominmamma is already preparing something nice for him.' said Snorkmaiden, 'But maybe we could ask the Hemulen for some flowers and take a beautiful bouquet' she suggested.

'That sounds very nice of you, Snorkmaiden. He'll surely appreciate it. Now, I must continue with my work. Make sure to bring him as soon as possible!' he said and finally closed the door.

The three of them started heading towards the Hemulen's house.

'Even if Moominmamma is preparing a nice meal for Moomin, I really think one of your delicious cakes could do nothing but to cheer him up, Snorkmaiden' said Sniff.

'You would do better learning how to cook properly instead of asking people to prepare the food you like!' said Little My.

'It sounds like a good idea to me, I could teach you how to bake a delicious carrot cake' said Snorkmaiden.

'Oh, and if I learn to do it, I could sell that carrot cake. Two pieces of gold for each slice!'

Snorkmaiden rolled her eyes, but felt happier having other things to think about.

'You know? Moomin and Snufkin came yesterday to the Hemlen's too' declared Little My.

'Oh, did they?' asked Snorkmaiden.