Ch: 7 Suspicions

Knock knock knock

The first thing I saw in the morning was my mom peeking behind the door. My vision was blurry. My eyes fluttered open. My vision gradually cleared. I sat up as my mom headed towards me. Her face displayed concern. I was silent for a while. 

                "How was you sleep?" Mom asked placing her hand my shoulder. 

I turned my head at the pace of a snail to glance at the window. It was still dark outside. I could barely make out the shape of the clouds in the sky. There was no sign of the sun. The atmosphere was completely reticent. The only sound was the frequent hooting of the owls.

             " Mom, what time is it?" I asked her. My voice was cracking at parts. It was barely audible at some points, but my mother heard everything. 

I turned to face her in complete leisure. My eyes were half latched. My body ached. My eyelids were numb. I used all of my remaining energy to keep myself on the bed. Unfortunately, that didn't last long. I punched the surface of the pillow with my head and closed my eyes, not being able to hold them for any long.

Mom made a face at me.

                                            " It is 4:30 it isn't too early." Mom protested. 

I responded with a sharp grunt. I pulled back my covers from below my mother and prisoned myself inside my blankets. 

There was silence for a few seconds. I heaved a sigh of relief, assuming that my mom has granted me the right to sleep. I was deeply mistaken though.

I was forcefully pulled out of my hiding spot. I was face to face with a grumpy lady whom I just had made grumpier. 

             "Rush! You should get up now. We have preparations to do." Mom ordered. 

I let out an annoyed groan. The room turned cold for a millisecond. I gulped down some of my saliva to fuel my throat. I started to make out rationality possible about the situation once my brain started functioning. It was then when I started to wonder why mom would want to wake me up so early. And why she looks so anxious.

       "Mom."

       "Yes honey?"

       "Where's dad? Does he know about this?" 

She froze in an instant. I arrayed a puzzled look.

      "No. He doesn't know about this yet. I just came to check on you" mom replied. Her voice was mellow.

"I see." I mumbled inside my throat. I kept my eyes glued to the ground, trying to avoid eye contact. 

I felt uneasy for some reason. I didn't really wake up with the 'best' mood this morning. I felt anxious and scared. It was then I realised I was just guilty about ruining my room. Fixing it would cost my parents a fortune. 

Not just that, but also that troubled my parents as much as it troubled me. I was worrying them. 

       "So, everything's okay right? You slept well." Mom asked, sounding genuinely concerned. 

I could see a glint in her eye as she put her hand around my cheek. She looked like she would cry at any moment.

      "Yes. I did." I replied, smiling at her. I placed my hand on hers, trying to express my gratitude. 

It did feel good to know how much she cared about me. I felt bad for disobeying her earlier in the morning. She was just trying to ease her concern. I manifested to never disobey her, after all that she's willing to do for my safety.