Chapter 8: Rapunzel's POV

There was a harsh silence around the table. Explaining what happened proved to be a little difficult for Rapunzel, but she pushed through. After she had given her friends the run down and answered as many questions as she could, she was met with silence.

Eventually Kiera was the first to speak. "So... What are we waiting for exactly?"

Cassandra stood up and began to pace. "Our first move would be to track down where they took him."

"Right!" Lance stood up. "Why are we still standing around here?"

Eugene sighed. "Because Andrew probably took him back to the Saporian base. We do not know how many there are and what their status in fighting is. If a handful of them are a threat, I'd hate to know what a whole army of them are like."

"The answer still remains. We still need to find them so we can assess the situation," Cassandra insisted.

Rapunzel nodded in agreement. "Eugene, can you lead the search party?"

"You bet I can," Eugene said.

Lance stroked his goatee. "I'm not sure that's a great idea."

Both Rapunzel and her fiance raised a brow at the man. "What do you mean, Lance? He's the captain of the guard," she pointed out.

"Yes, but someone needs to run the soldiers here in case the Saporians attack the castle. Plus you two are about to get married."

"That's on hold," Eugene and Rapunzel said in unison.

Cassandra shook her head. "Lance is right. You two need to stay here for your duties. Plus postponing a Royal Wedding? Do you know how many leaders of kingdoms are traveling to attend? You can't just postpone the wedding unless something happens to the bride or groom."

"Well, something did happen," Rapunzel insisted.

She shrugged. "But it still remains that the Saporians are a threat to Corona and someone needs to stay here and run the Royal Guard."

Rapunzel laid back in her chair. Her head was still pounding. It was obvious that she was in no condition to lead a search party herself. Plus she couldn't just leave Corona with her parents the state they were in. And Cassandra was right. If the Saporians had taken Varian, then they clearly planned on attacking Corona once again. So she needed Eugene to protect the people of Corona. The solution was pretty clear.

"Cass, why don't you lead the search party?"

The woman's eyes grew wide. "Me?"

"Yes! You have all the training from your father," Rapunzel explained.

"Well..." Cassandra crossed her arms as she leaned her head back against the wall. She appeared to be deep in thought. "I do have a score to settle with Andrew..."

Rapunzel tilted her head at her friend's hesitance. A few years ago she would have jumped for the opportunity. But things have changed drastically over the years. This was their friend they were searching for and going up against an old foe. However, Cassandra knew Andrew better than the rest of them. Perhaps she would be able to hunt him down.

"Cass, if you don't want to, we can find someone else," she said. As much as she desperately wanted someone she trusted as much as Cass and Eugene, she wasn't about to force Cassandra in a position she was not ready for.

The woman shook her head. "No. I let Varian down every time he needed help. I'm not going to do that again."

Lance raised his hand and set his other hand on his chest. "And I humbly volunteer myself as your assistant, ready to be at your disposal."