Chapter 6- Hey There Delilah

Locke relaxed back into the passenger seat of the car, lowering their eyelids while taking a deep breath to quieten their deafening heartbeats. They reopened their eyes to take a survey of their surroundings. To their left, Georgia was navigating the slip-road onto a roundabout, focussing intensely to ensure she was following the roundabout anticlockwise, instead of the clockwise direction she was used to. They moved their gaze to the satnav on the dashboard. The estimated time of arrival in the top right corner read 07:58. They pulled their phone out of the pocket of their mottled grey hoodie, unlocking it and opening WhatsApp. They started a new conversation with Delilah, sending her an inquiring message.

 They started a new conversation with Delilah, sending her an inquiring message

Soon the pair arrived at the track, making their way to the paddock entrance. Locke scanned their pass and walked through the turnstile into the paddock, Georgia going through the neighbouring one. As their paddock passes were accepted by the machines, a loud tone of confirmation played out.

Walking out of the turnstiles, Locke entered the open air of the Sakhir paddock, the sun beaming down on them. It was already warming the top of their head, due to the lack of clouds in the sky. Despite the relatively early hour, the temperature was already climbing. Locke paused momentarily to pull their hoodie over their head and tie it around their waist, finally giving in to the mild Bahrain air.

The gentle rays of light washed over them as they began their walk through the paddock, filling them with joy. Locke's heart fluttered in anticipation for the day ahead as they stepped closer to the beginning of their Formula Two career. Despite the excited rush of their heart, there was an inescapable lurch in their stomach. They tried to ignore it but every time they moved their thoughts away from it, it pulled them back, like gravity back to Earth.

There was a buzz of excitement vibrating throughout the paddock. Each of the clusters of engineers and mechanics wandering through the paddock seemed to be humming a joyous melody, building up the song of anticipation. Locke's gaze darted between the groups of personnel surrounding them, rarely seeing a face that wasn't smiling. Occasionally, these people would slow their journey to the garages to greet their teammates, stopping here and there to shake hands and say a cheery word.

While Locke was enjoying the people-watching, they weren't just looking around to bask in other people's excitement. They had a goal. Find Delilah. They filed through the faces of each person, in each group of people but Delilah's face didn't appear. She has to be here somewhere. But she wasn't. I need to find her. I'm not prepared without her.

They set their mind on heading towards hospitality however before they had made much progress in their journey their eyes landed on Mick and Callum who were stood in the shade of a palm tree, engaged in a light conversation. They decided they could afford a small break in order to have a brief chat with their friends.

"I'll catch up with you in a few minutes," Locke said turning to Georgia, before peeling off the path to join their friends. Georgia smiled and nodded in acknowledgement, continuing on her way without Locke. Soon she had disappeared into the throng of people, lost amongst the community of crowds.