Chapter 2- Lost In Yesterday

Locke's eyes scanned alternately between their suitcase and their itinerary; t-shirts: check, socks: check, all the way down their list until they were content that they had packed everything they would need for their trip. They closed the suitcase and perched on the edge of their bed. A smile spread across their face as they filled with anticipation at the week to come. A week in the warmth with their friends. Sure, they were going to be training, but the pain that can bring was always balanced out by the company. It would also serve as a nice distraction from the anxiety looming over them that stemmed from the news of their teammate.

***********

Locke stepped off the plane into the warm Lanzarote air. The 20 degree heat was practically tropical in comparison to the dreary February chill of Britain, which they had left earlier that day. They had flown out to Lanzarote where they would be meeting Mick, Marcus and Callum, although their three companions had all arrived a few hours before. They walked into the airport, blinded by the comparative darkness of indoors to the sunlight outside, stumbling for the second before their eyes re-adjusted.

Once they had gone through security and collected their luggage, they pulled out their phone to message the group chat that they had arrived.

With that agreed upon, Locke hailed a taxi and got in, directing the driver to the hotel they were staying at. They leaned back into their seat and gazed contentedly out of the window at the craggy mountains framed against the bright cerulean sky. The vegetation on the peaks contrasted the sky wonderfully in their deep opal green.

Amongst the rocky scenery, a golden bird soared effortlessly on the convection currents, allowing them to dictate its movement. Its forked tail occasionally flitted, aiding in any direction change that the bird took. It continued gliding serenely until it abruptly dove to the ground, to catch its innocent prey in the bushes below.

The already short car journey passed quickly while they took in the breath-taking landscape that would be surrounding them for the next few days. They climbed out of the taxi and paid their driver, considering how lucky they were to be staying in such a picturesque environment with some of the people they held most dear.

They walked up to the entrance and went to the front desk of the hotel, taking in the cool-aired lobby. A dazzling chandelier hung from the ceiling in the centre of the room, reflecting fractals of light onto the cream walls of the room.

"Hola, I'd like to check in," greeted Locke.

"Ok. Your name please?" responded the receptionist, looking to their computer.

"Locke Reid."

The receptionist searched up the name and rummaged for the key card. "That'll be Room 243," they said, handing over the key card.

"Gracias. Have a good day," thanked Locke as they walked to the lifts to get to the second floor. They would take the stairs, but they had brought a lot of bags with them for some of their training equipment, so the lift seemed like a more realistic option.