Part 19 : Changed dynamics

Start from the beginning

Atharva turned to Aashika who was gripping his hands. "Ab toh maanoge ki tumhari shaadi meri aakhri ichchha hai? Iss marte baap ki aakhri ichchha puri kar do, beta."

Aashika looked down and cried. She had never felt so helpless before. Her father's pleas were breaking her heart. He was asking of something that didn't lie in her hands alone. Arnav and his family had an equal say in it. She looked up when Arnav placed his hands on her and Atharva's.

"Hum shaadi karenge, Chachu." Arnav assured him.

Atharva closed his eyes in relief. He didn't have to die leaving his daughter alone. He had no regret for dying as long as he can be assured that his daughter would be taken care of!

Arnav came to Aniket. Aniket looked at his brother and tensed. Worry was written all over his face. "Kya hua, Bhaiya?"

Arnav appraised him of everything. Rishaan told them Atharva had a few hours. They had time to come back if they hurried. Aashika and him had decided to get married in a temple. There was nothing to celebrate at the moment.

Aryan and Ayaansh came to the temple directly. Aniket had told them the situation and made them understand to not say anything that could hurt Ashika's feelings. Under normal circumstances it would have been a very joyful moment for the brothers to see their Bhaiya getting married but they were forced to perform the ceremony in situation filled with grief.

Ayaansh was taken aback when Arnav had asked them if they were okay with the wedding. Even in a situation like this, he had not forgotten to acknowledge their feelings. They had assured him that they will be very happy to welcome their Bhabhi home. Arnav was more than relieved to hear that.

The wedding took place smoothly without any profanities. The brothers congratulated them after the wedding and proceeded to the hospital. They were on the way when Arnav got the call from hospital. They were losing Atharva. Arnav sped up the car and they reached hospital as soon as they could.

Aashika and Arnav rushed inside Atharva's ward. Aniket stayed outside with the boys. He didn't want them to witness such a heartbreaking moment. The doctors stepped out. There was nothing they could do. Aashika rushed to her father's side who was barely breathing.

"Aankhein kholiye, Papa.."

Atharva fought with the urge to keep his eyes closed to shut down the pain and opened his eyes. His eyes brimmed up with tears, happy ones, when he saw his daughter's hairline filled with vermillion. Arnav came ahead and held his hands. Atharva struggled to raise his hands to bless them. Aashika held his hands and put it on her head as the tears streamed down her face. Her father was bidding her goodbye!

"Khush.. rehna, beta..." Atharva managed the words while smiling and his hands slipped down from Aashika's head while he closed his eyes. He had fighting with death and holding on only to see his daughter for one last time. He could die peacefully knowing his daughter was in the safest hands possible, knowing that his daughter will have a family to call her own and a home where she would be loved! A father could ask for nothing more!

Aashika clenched her eyes in pain and cried holding onto Atharva. Arnav blinked off his own tears and offered silent support to her. He knew the pain of losing a parent. But he could only imagine the pain of losing a parent who loved you so dearly!

The next few days weren't easy for anyone. The family stood with Ashi like rock. They understood her pain better than anyone else and let her take her time to accept the new dynamics. Even Aryan and Ayaansh had been very considerate of her feelings and dealt with the situation way better than expected of them. They hoped for things to get better and held on to each other.