New friends?

The rustling of pages turning and stamping was heard in the library. Being one of the libraries that hold books from years and years in the library, it was famous enough for people who had lived in the neighbourhood to get their books from them. Exam students typically get books weekly, while other readers promptly purchase them. Due to the need for a lot of knowledge in a short amount of time, people often borrow books for weeks. The competition is getting harder and harder for the students and the harder it gets, the harder it is for them to pass the exam in their first attempt.

The staff for the library knew who needed the books and knowing people instantly wasn't that hard after all. So when they saw their usual readers, Saanvi and Shruti coming inside the library, they smiled instantly.

"Good Afternoon, Saanvi." the person at the desk says to her. "And good afternoon to you too, Shruti!"

In response, they both smiled with happiness.. "Good Afternoon to you too, Fernandes Aunty!" Both said in unison.

"You both here came together?" Fernandes Aunty asks. "You both know each other?"

"Oh, we both are in the same coaching class," Saanvi says. "And today, we finally talked to each other for the first time."

Mrs. Fernandes knew that Saanvi didn't talk to a lot of people, so when she saw that Saanvi was finally talking to other people felt elated to hear this change. "Oh, and what happened to the news that we heard about you? Is it true?"

Saanvi who frowned a little at the question, kept mum about this question. Shruti who noticed this change of behaviour, jumped to answer. "Aunty, you know how this newspaper and new channel have views on people like that. They try to twist things and hence keep spreading fake news." Shruti says.

"Oh, that is true," Mrs Fernandes says. "At this time, people will believe anything they see in the news and not fact-check it even once. I also fell for their trap."

"See!" Shruti exclaims. "That's why I don't believe whatever is revealed in the Newspaper anymore. Who knows, in the future they will claim that I am heir to one of the top Gujarat business families."

"You are an heir to a top Gujarat Business Family?" Saanvi tilts her head while asking.

"Oh, I am not," Shruti reveals while brushing off the topic. "I was being hypothetical."

"And you are this accurate while being hypothetical?"

"Saanvi, why are you investigating me like a police officer?" Shruti groans in annoyance. "I am telling you, I am not an heir to any big families, I swear."

"I mean, if you are an heir to a big family, I won't mind," Saanvi tells Shruti. "Just don't lie to me, I hate liars."

Before Shruti could reply to Saanvi, Mrs Fernandes says on Shruti's behalf. "Oh, she isn't an heir to any family. She lives here alone with her Grandparents close by. I have met her grandma, and let me tell you one thing about her, she looks stunning even at this age." She then adds. "I do wonder though, where are your parents, Shruti?"

"Uh, they don't exist anymore," Shruti says as she sweats a little. "I don't know what they look like anymore."

"Oh, my!" Mrs Fernandes exclaims. "I didn't know that, I am sorry."

"It's okay, Aunty. It wasn't your fault. I didn't tell anyone about my family because of this reason."

"But still, I shouldn't have–"

"Oh, come on, aunty! Let it go!" Shruti diverts the topic. "Can you bring us our books?"

"Yeah, sure, just wait for a while." Mrs Fernandes says and is on her way to bring their book when she turns and smiles at Saanvi. "Your favourite book is here now, go read it while I bring your other books."