The One With the Fairy Lights (Z.M.)

"Hi, Zayn? I'm Julia, um Harry's friend? He told me you could maybe help me with my art project. If you're not too busy," Julia rambles all of it out in one breath, but doesn't stop there. "I don't want to bother you and I know Harry's too nice to tell me if I would so I just want to put it out there that you can say no."

Zayn interrupts her kindly, "Hey, no it's okay. I'm not busy, was just playing a game on my phone."

"Oh," she says and tucks some of her hair behind her ear. "Well if you want to relax I don't want to interrupt. Sorry," she starts to turn around but then Zayn laughs. 

"You're a nervous one aren't you?" He teases with a perfect smile. 

She blows out a laugh, maybe taking the first deep breath since she approached him. "What gave me away?"

"Just a hunch," he shrugs and starts packing up his things from the table in the common room. "I have a studio downstairs if you'd like I can help you there. 

"If you don't mind," she says, picking up some of his garbage and throwing it away for him. 

"Thank you and trust me I don't mind at all," he says kindly. 

They engage in some small talk as they make their way to his studio. It doesn't take them long and Zayn is a perfect gentleman, holding doors open and gently guiding her in the right direction. 

He opens the door, "It's really messy, if I'm honest, but it works for me." 

"No worries," she smiles at him. "Do you know Harry's roommate, Louis?" Zayn nods so she continues, "He is messy. This is just a creative space, it wouldn't spark inspiration if everything was in a certain place." 

"That's very kind and a good point too," he says, clearing up some space for the two of them to sit. "So, what's your project about?"

"It's about capturing light and it seems so simple, but I'm just not sure how to do that. Sorry I probably should have figured that out before I came here," she says. 

"Love, you don't have to keep apologizing," he says, carefully reaching his hand out to put on her arm. "I'm more than happy to help you figure out what to do. What medium are you supposed to use? Can it be phonography or paint or?" He trails off. 

"Yeah it can be anything really as long as we make it or take it ourselves," she explains. 

"Okay and what do you prefer?" He asks. 

"I think photography would be easiest, but if we take a photo and then paint from the reference picture we can get extra credit," she fiddles with the hem of her cardigan, "And I could use it." 

He smiles at her kindly, "Sounds good, now light is pretty easy, comes from lots of places. If you have anything specific in mind let me know, but there's the sun or the moon even, flash lights, tail lights, light bulbs," he says, rattling off as many things as he can think of. 

"Fairy lights?" She suggests. 

"Yeah, we can definitely work with those. Do you have any?" He asks. 

"No, but Louis does. I'm sure he'd let me borrow them for a bit," she shrugs.  

"Yeah, I'll go with you if that's alright. He borrowed my phone charger the other day and forgot to give it back," he explains. 

Julia smiles, "Oh, so you're friends then?"

"Yeah, bout a year now. He's actually how I met Harry," Zayn explains. 

She nods and they make their way upstairs again and down the hall to Harry and Louis'. She's been there countless times. The boys are very kind to her, treat her like she's their sister. Harry makes her meals and Louis bothers her like no one else can, but she loves them both dearly.