C78

As a few hundred-year-old young rodent, Shu Shuishui had actually spent most of his life on his own, until he met Shu Bao later on. It was only then that Shu Shuishui had a rodent companion to journey the world with. During that time, perhaps about a hundred years had passed. Later, Shu Bao left Earth in search of his brother, and Shu Shuishui once again became a solitary rodent.

Sitting on the windowsill, Shu Shuishui gazed at the sun gradually sinking below the horizon and let out a gentle sigh. He hadn’t realized it before, but now that they were separated, Shu Shuishui found himself missing Gu Langu quite intensely.

Compared to the reluctance and sadness when Shu Bao left before, it seemed that even more complex emotions had merged within Shu Shuishui—urgent longing, lingering worries, and hopeful anticipation of a reunion.

Lifting his little paw, Shu Shuishui touched his chest, lost in thought.

The golden sunset filled every crevice of the city, casting its light through the spacious window onto the little bundle, casting long shadows on the corridor wall behind. This tiny bundle seemed to carry heavy thoughts.

The contemplative dormouse didn’t move any further. Although the elevator stopping at the 33rd floor had been somewhat baffling, Shu Shuishui trusted his small ears. He was certain he hadn’t heard anyone nearby.

No humans, no cats—Shu Shuishui couldn’t imagine any other lurking dangers. Curled into a small ball of fur, he nestled on the windowsill, easily overlooked if not paying attention.

After the sun had completely disappeared, the golden veil that shrouded the city began to dissipate as well, and the temperature gradually dropped. Shu Shuishui remained nestled on the windowsill, not wanting to move. After some time passed, the city outside began to light up. Shu Shuishui’s little ears twitched, sensing a change.

Pressing his furry cheek against the glass, Shu Shuishui saw the streetlights illuminate. Some of the tall buildings also lit up.

But under the glow of the lights, the city remained unchanged—lifeless, devoid of any moving figures. The vehicles were on the ground and the deceased people remained still. Thinking about the elevator that operated in this same building, Shu Shuishui no longer found it strange. Perhaps, in this strange city, everything was normal, no matter what happened.

Feeling slightly disappointed, Shu Shuishui withdrew his head, instantly reverting to a small, helpless bundle.

Eventually, the fluffy bundle listlessly retrieved his rarely-used nest from his spiritual storage. After some consideration, he returned the nest and took out a small tent instead. At least this tent had once been pitched within the shelter of Gu Langu, carrying its familiar scent.

The little dormouse planted all four paws on the ground, stretched his body in a long yawn, and then got busy. He securely set up the small tent on the tidy windowsill. Because there was no wind inside the building, Shu Shuishui didn’t worry about the tent blowing away, skipping the step of fastening it down.

As Shu Shuishui was in the midst of his actions, due to an extremely faint sound, the corridor’s motion-sensor light suddenly turned on. However, it didn’t stay illuminated for long before extinguishing again, unlike the streetlights outside, which remained continuously lit.

The small tent was quickly set up, and Shu Shuishui took out his bedding roll, arranging the small pillow and blanket one by one.

With everything in place, Shu Shuishui crawled into the tent and turned around, poking his little head outside, still persistently gazing at the window, hoping to catch a glimpse of Gu Langu passing by at any moment.