Chapter 87 - Boundaries (1)

The Edenites retreated in haste, Todd and the others tried to pursue them, but the other side had faster flying machines so it was difficult to catch up with them using motorbikes.

Enoch tried to get up off of Zhang Xun but lost his balance and fell to one side on the ground, his eyes turned in different directions, his lips didn't move when he spoke and his voice came from a different vocal opening, with a slightly distorted mechanical feeling, "My motor coordination system, my temperature sensing system, my personalised parameter adjustment system and my distance recognition system are all damaged to varying degrees."

Zhang Xun immediately rushed over and found several bullet holes in Enoch's body, scattered all over his back. Enoch had done his best to avoid the most critical points, but after all, it wasn't a war robot and without laser and bullet resistant alloy steel plates that lay beneath the artificial skin, any wound could have damaged some part of its functions. He pulled up Enoch's system reports and hardware condition monitoring reports, quickly scanning through the dense lines of text.

"Fortunately the central processor shows no signs of damage. It's all repairable." Zhang Xun sighed with relief, wondering why he was so nervous about a service robot. The rescue act was just its programming and as an inanimate object it had no fear of death, so it was only natural that it would be completely destroyed.

Perhaps it was because this service robot sometimes inexplicably reminded him of Adam? Or maybe it was because after Adam, he had more or less extended some human emotions to the machines and kept unconsciously wanting to treat them the same way he treated humans.

So before he realised what he was saying, he had said, "Thank you for saving me."

Enoch's lifeless blue eyes looked at him steadily and his mechanised, emotionless voice came out of the vocal hole at his throat, "It was my duty. I'm glad to be of service."

Zhang Xun frowned, with such a standard response, there did seem to be a problem with the personalization parameters......

By this time James and Diego had come running over, followed by a few Nameless people. James rushed to Zhang Xun's side, grabbed his shoulder and looked him over, "Ah-Xun, were you hurt?"

"I'm fine, Enoch blocked all the bullets." Zhang Xun's cheeks were still slightly red from the panic and his heart was beating fast. Brushes with death seemed to be an extraordinarily frequent experience this year, but no matter how many times he experienced it, the trembling from the rush of adrenaline was still as vivid as ever. His mind was still a little foggy, as unreal as if he were in a dream.

The sound of a motorbike approached and they saw Todd jump off of it, his red hair flying in the wind. He walked up to his three prisoners plus a damaged robot, cleared his throat and shook the dust from his hair, "Rhino Horn Town owes you a favour."

James stood up and turned his head to face him, raising his dark eyebrows slightly, "A big favour, isn't it? If it wasn't for us, how many people would have survived in your town today?"

Todd clearly didn't like the feeling of defeat and rolled his eyes slightly. Yet earlier in the battle with the soldier in front of him, he wouldn't be standing here right now if James hadn't tackled the two drones flying from behind him in time.

It had to be said that he and James had worked quite well together.

But naturally Todd couldn't say anything like thank you, he just lifted his jaw slightly and said, "You can come with me to the town and meet our leader. After that we can help you get wherever you want to go."

"I need parts and tools to fix this robot." Zhang Xun was slightly relieved to know they were out of the woods for now, and took off his coat to wipe off the coolant coming from the bullet holes in the robot, "And ideally a computer."