Chapter 19 - Garbage Processing Yard (5)

The accident happened that night after Adam and Diego's conversation.

That afternoon, Zhang Xun saw that it was getting late, so he took Adam out of the Garbage Processing Yard and walked back to the Lab along their daily fixed route. It was already a considerable distance, but Zhang Xun chose the most secluded but also very tortuous route every time, trying to avoid Adam from being seen by others.

But today, when they reached the first fork in the road, Adam suddenly stopped and pointed to another fork between the crooked houses, "What is that place?"

In the distance was a brightly colored baroque-style high-rise building, filled with circles of neon lights along the retro dome, which had just lit up in the afterglow of the setting sun. Around it, there was also row upon row of large and small, like some kind of dilapidated version of old London, which was decorated with bizarre lights and neon to give a surreal sense of splendour. Several staggered spotlights danced back and forth in the increasingly dim night sky, accompanied by distant noises and mixed music.

"That's the entertainment centre of Lost Paradise—the Fourth District's city." Zhang Xun saw the curious light in Adam's eyes and hesitated a little, "Are you interested in that place?"

"The entertainment centre? Like a club, a gathering place with bars and food stalls along the street?"

"Pretty much. Today is Friday and the offices, factories and shops all clos early so everyone gathers there."

"Ah-Xun." Adam looked at him with sudden puppy dog eyes, "Can I go take a look?"

Adam had become curious about human entertainment, which was a good thing...but...would it be too dangerous?

"No." Zhang Xun then ruthlessly refused.

However, Adam didn't give up easily and showed an even more animated and pitiful expression that he learned from who knows where... "I can dress up in disguise and not many people have seen me, have they? I heard Diego say it's fun there and it could further help me understand human beings."

Zhang Xun tsk'd irritably, "Why did this manager always talk so much..."

Adam didn't tell Zhang Xun that he also learned how to act pitiful from Diego...

"Your mechanic looks like a master who has a sharp mouth but a soft heart, and is susceptible to persuasion but not force. You just need to blink your big eyes and squeeze out some tears to pretend to be pitiful, I can guarantee that there's nothing he won't agree to." These were Diego's words to him, "As for how to be pitiful, just look at Shrek's puss in boots. No need to thank me."

Adam's data valley of course stored that old but classic animation and since Diego mentioned it, he transferred the video from his memory hard drive and played back in my head at 1000x speed then practised for a while in front of a broken mirror. Now was the time to put it into practice.

"Please!" He creased up his brows, and he was obviously taller than Zhang Xun, but insisted on making a pitiful look from the bottom up. Although it was funny, Zhang Xun actually found it a bit... cute...

"What are you doing?..." Zhang Xun's mouth twitched.

"I'm begging you." Adam changed his gaze. "Does this make it harder for you to reject me?"

"...It makes me want to hit you..."

"How can that be? Want part makes you want to hit me?"

"...all of it..."

"Ah-Xun, it's hard for me to improve with your vague feedback. Did you do the same when training Pan?" Adam stood up straight, showing a somewhat disappointed expression as he complained.