"By the way, I love your rehearsal dress," Grayson said as we headed towards the front.

        "Thanks," I said shyly. "It was a gift from my mom, for my sixteenth birthday."

        His hazel eyes softened even more. "It looks lovely on you, Jacks."

        The dress had been the first dress she'd bought me that she'd said was for a woman. I was done with the little flowery dresses, or the Christmas ones with the ribbons and jewels and velvet. This one was made of white satin, with thin straps and a hem just above my knees. She'd told me to only wear it for special occasions, to treat it as if it were special. I hadn't worn it in years, but I figured that the rehearsal dinner for my wedding was pretty special.

        "Here's the reception hall," Grayson said, pushing open another set of doors.

        This room was just as magical as the last. The huge centerpieces were overflowing with flowers, with crystals floating through the water in the vases. A canopy of lights was strung over the marble dance floor, creating a starry effect. An even bigger fountain took up the center of the room, with more water lilies floating in the base.

        "Grayson, it's magnificent," I said in a hushed voice.

        "I'm glad you like it," he said with a twinkle in his eyes.

        "Oh, I love it," I argued, making him laugh. 

        Unfortunately, we were met with company when we circled back around to the main hall. Laura and Rylie stood in the doorway, anxiously discussing something. I noticed a ton of other people in the room, most of which were in the bridal party. Clay caught my gaze and winked, blowing me a kiss. I waved, uncertain of what fun things were ahead.

        "There they are," Laura said loudly, her voice ingrained with annoyance. "You two are three minutes late."

        Grayson forced a smile. "I was just giving Jackie a tour, mother. She hasn't been here before and she hadn't seen the decorations yet."

        "Yes, well, we're running late now because of it," she said tightly, since three minutes late was obviously the biggest crime in the world. We couldn't waste any of her valuable time. "Everyone, get in place, we're doing the run-through."

        "Sorry," Rylie squeaked as she passed me. I gave her an encouraging smile, not wanting her to think that Laura's sour attitude was her fault. 

        "Let's go, girl," Kylie chirped, dragging me out into the hallway. As soon as the door had shut behind us, she grabbed my wrists and said in a low voice, "Listen, let's just get this over with and I will treat you out for a girls' night tonight. We both are going to need it."

        "Has she been that bad?" I whispered, fretful. 

        "Worse. She keeps sneering at me and insulting my outfit. 'A mother-to-be shouldn't dress so scandalously. You shouldn't wear heels because you might trip and hurt the baby. Why isn't Clay at your side? Oh wait, he's not your husband.' If we don't get out of here in less than two hours, there will be bodies!" Kylie snapped.

        I gently put my hands on her forearms. "No bodies," I reminded her gently. "And it'll be short. Grayson and I have the traditional vows, no speeches. Then it's just dinner and we go to the hotel."

        She wasn't convinced. "Dinner? Let me guess, Laura stands up and gives a toast about how her little boy turned out perfect and forgets to mention you at all. And it runs for a good forty minutes."

        "I'm not aware of any toasts, but Grayson will shut her up if that happens," I reassured Kylie. Grayson was always in the mood to shut his mother up.