Chapter Four - We Will Rise Again

I don't know how I had gotten so confident around Ben now, but he made me feel at ease. It was like we had been friends for years. He brought his laptop and showed me pictures of his family and friends, his works and photos from his various adventures. I was simply mesmerized by his humble magnificent aura.

Next morning, I woke up next to him. Apparently, we had fallen asleep talking and ended up sleeping next to each other. To add to my dismay, my pillow was actually his chest, where I was comfortably nuzzled. As soon as I realized it, I jolted and hoped nobody noticed us sleeping in such an intimate position. That hope was crushed when I saw a smile creep us on Ben's face, while his eyes were still closed. He was just pretending to be asleep, probably bathing in my embarrassment.

"You were awake?" I whisper shouted, chastising him in sub-text for not waking me up earlier.

He snickered and whispered back, "Well, you were quite comfortable, weren't you?"

I did not reply at all. I just got up and walked out with my head held up high. I went home to freshen up. The earth still shook every now and then but we were kind of getting used to it. The radio said it would most probably continue for a week or so.

I had just finished taking a shower when my mother came home too. While she freshened up, I prepared coffee and packed it in a tumbler and packed some cookies as well. Personally, I would have preferred bacon and eggs right now, but it was not the time to be nit-picky.

We took the food back to our tent where the boys were lying around lazily. As soon as Ben saw me, he smiled teasingly at me, which I chose to ignore completely.

They jumped up instantly as they smelled the coffee. I served all of us and the sight of satisfaction on their faces was priceless. The earthquake had made me benevolent and compassionate in ways that I could not explain. As we heard the news of death toll rising, I could not help wondering if I had got a second chance at life. I felt like I was supposed to live this new life for the betterment of the society.

My reverie was broken when Ben nudged me.

"Hey, where are you lost?" He asked softly, mischief lost from his demeanor.

"Nothing, I was just thinking about life."

He sighed. "It really gives you a new perspective on life, doesn't it?"

I nodded in reply.

"We are heading out. To help out others."

"But the aftershocks are still strong." I argued.

"Yes, exactly why the people need us right now. If we won't help others, our new life will be wasted, don't you think?"

"But still, it is not safe out there."

He laughed grimly. "It will be too late for those stuck inside the rubbles. The least we can do, is help clear out the debris or any other way possible. We will not get anything done, sitting in a tent whole day and listening to the radio. Besides, everyone has to die one day. Why die like a cowardice rat, when you can die like a brave warrior?"

Now, I don't know if he said that to impress me, but I was thoroughly impressed and motivated by that little speech of his. Without further hesitation, I grabbed his hand and said with a smile, "Then, let's get on with it."

A/N: With this positive note of encouragement, I end my short story. Those of us who got out of the disaster alive, we really have been given a second chance at life. Let's not let it go to waste. Let's do something worthwhile, acts of kindness, however small it may be. When you see someone else smile because of something you do, it is the best feeling, trust me. For the ones who are safe, cherish your life, friends and family. You never know it, but life is fleeting and things that are beyond our control, can snatch it all from us. So, tell your loved ones how much you love them. This is probably the longest note I have written, ironically, for the shortest story. Anyways, thank you tons for reading. I really appreciate your reads, votes and comments.

Lots of love coming your way.....

Ankeeta