Ch. 9

I step into my private quarters, excitement growing with each tentative step. It's breathtaking and fantastical.

How is this real?

How is this real?

My eyes go to the bed, an inviting creation that steals the breath from my lungs. The canopy above shimmers like stardust, casting a gentle light on the plush linens. I can't help but run my palm over the fabrics. Somehow I tear myself away without ruining the covers.

Approaching the window, I gasp. The view is mesmerizing – winding pathways, and crystalline formations that shimmer like constellations.

Stepping into the closet, I'm met with surprises that leave me awestruck. An entire wardrobe waits. The fabrics emit an alluring energy, and the silken robes and gem-adorned shoes speak of Aetherian elegance. Several of the items are similar to the captivating dress Seraphina wore earlier. I pull an iridescent robe from its place and drape it over my uniform.

Emerging from the closet, I twirl in the flowing robe and head toward the bathroom.

Crossing into the en-suite, I can hardly believe my eyes. The world around me transforms into something grand, and time seems to pause. Every detail stands out with intense clarity.

The archways shimmer with colors, casting a delicate dance on the floor. The ambient lighting bathes the space in a soft glow, brushing against my skin.

The centerpiece bath catches my attention, a gemstone-like creation. I peer over into the massive tub and study it for a long moment before moving on— half tempted to run a bath right now.

I approach the row of mirrors, their frames adorned with motifs that hold true to the Aetherian architecture. My reflection seems different, as if these mirrors hold a new perspective. I move back and forth admiring the robe.

I run my fingers over the vanity's mosaic, feeling the energy beneath. Perfumes and cosmetics are neatly arranged, mirroring the elegance of the surroundings. I lift one of the bottles to my nose and it holds a hint of honeysuckle.

The air carries a fragrance that's familiar yet not – the scent of Aetheria I decide. With every inhale, I relax into the extravagance of this new world.

My face morphs into a smile that I can't seem to wipe away. The excitement I feel in this moment surpasses everything. The fear— the apprehension— that threatens weigh me down.

In the mere span of twelve hours, my reality has done a complete 180. Seriously, I woke up this morning with ordinary expectations: trudging through snow, setting up camp at some mundane outpost, and dealing with the utterly unremarkable challenges. All of the run-of-the-mill archaeological gig type challenges. Not the oh, hey Ava I'm about to break your mental psyche challenges like finding out extraterrestrials are real, the Antarctic Ice Wall is freaking real, and oh guess what else— THE EARTH IS HOLLOW and now you have to help find away to convince the entire planet to move to said "Hollow Earth" or humanity will come to a devastating halt. 

Yes Ava welcome to your mental breakdown.  I hope you enjoy the trip. 

The day's events replay in my head like a montage. Seriously, who knew that underground cities with glowing flora, crystal palaces and shimmering pathways were a thing?

And Lirian... don't even get me started. It isn't right for a man to be THAT beautiful.  The imagine of his smile slashes in my mind— I'd close my eyes but it's etched into my brain now, playing on repeat.

I should be questioning my sanity right. I mean, hello, Ava, how can you be attracted to an alien? There's no handbook for this. And yet, here I stand, mentally berating myself for getting caught in this whirlwind. Part of me is like, "Hey, keep it together. He's an Aetherian. Like, a whole other species." But another part, the part I'm trying really hard to ignore, is all like, "But have you seen his eyes, though?"

I try hard to forget about  Lirian's eyes that swirl like pools of liquid mercury! And that's when I'm sure I really have gone insane.