8. The King's Soldiers

Start from the beginning

* * * * *

As Andrea trudged back to the house, her mind was all in a turmoil. She didn't trust the man one bit, but what if he was right? What if someone did get hurt? She would be to blame then if they did. She let out a deep sigh. Why did everything have to happen, one thing after another? Could she not have a moments peace?

Coming to the front of the yard, she paused. Harriet would know, surely. But Andrea was not sure if she felt like confiding in her just yet. She knew the old healer would be understanding and kind, but still, she barely knew her. And besides, she would probably start fussing about Andrea's early morning walks and put a stop to them. It had been so long since she had felt this sense of freedom, that she did not relish giving it up for a moment. She sighed for a second time and continued down the path to the house. Stopping on the doorstep, she wiped her shoes on the mat, before slipping inside. Hugo was nowhere to be seen, but Harriet was in the kitchen making breakfast.

"And how's Diana, Hugo?" she called, not looking up from where she was busily hacking into a loaf of bread. When she didn't receive an answer, she turned around and saw Andrea. "Oh, it's you, dear. Did you go for a walk?"

Andrea hesitated. Glancing down at her feet, she saw how her boots were still covered in dew and loose grass. She knew it would be foolish to deny it. "Yes, I went up to the hills." Seeing Harriet's anxious look, she hastily reassured her, "But Ruffian came with me."

Harriet smiled. "Well, that's alright then, I suppose. He's a good dog." As if on cue, the door swung open and Ruffian came bounding in, leaving a trail of dirty paw prints behind him. Harriet grimaced as she added, "Or he would be if a certain person didn't spoil him so much."

The certain person's head popped around the door and grinned at them. "There's a little surprise in the barn if you want to come and see it."

Andrea and Harriet both stared at him with blank expressions. Then Harriet clapped her hands together and laughed. "Oh Hugo," she exclaimed. "Didn't I tell you? Quick, Andrea. Go to the barn and see it."

Giddy with excitement, Andrea ran after Hugo towards the barn. As she entered, the sweet scent of fresh hay filled her nostrils. Glancing around, she saw it. The surprise. In a large stall to one corner, stood Diana. Her large brown eyes with filled with a mother's gaze of love and pride as her large tongue gently cleansed the tiny creature that knelt before her.

"It's beautiful," whispered Andrea, leaning forward and gazing at the small black and white calf. It had a white crescent moon upon its brow just like its mother.

"She's beautiful," corrected Hugo with a smile.

"So, you'll keep her?" asked Andrea in delight.

"No," replied Hugo, shaking his head. Then seeing Andrea's disappointed face, he let out a laugh. "You'll keep her."

Andrea's eyes widened. "Me?"

"Consider it as a welcome gift," he said softly.

Andrea understood what he meant. She had been accepted as part of the family. And in her heart, Andrea for the first time, felt content. Whether this new life was real or just a dream, Andrea felt happy and at ease with where she was. She closed the memories of her old life behind a locked door, no longer feeling the doubt and uncertainty of before. Looking down at the small calf, Andrea smiled.

* * * * *

Lord Rane looked up at the sound of his door opening. His guard had reappeared, bowing low.

"Is everything set, Blade?"

The guard nodded. "Yes, my lord. But I feel the task will not be as simple as you thought."

Lord Rane leaned back into his chair and studied the guard thoughtfully. He shook his head. "You don't understand the lonely and doubtful as I do. We only need to feed that doubt. Do you know how we feed it, Blade?"

"With fear, my lord."

A small smile crossed the royal advisor's lips. "I raised you well. Fear is indeed the answer. Fear, mistrust and pain. They are all vital ingredients. But I will leave that all to you. I am sure you know what must be done for the next step. The bait is locked up in the eastern tower. It has served its purpose long enough. Let us be merciful and give it a noble death."

Blade nodded. "Yes, my lord." He turned to go, but stopped and turned back. "Lord? When all this is over..." His voice faded and he looked away.

Lord Rane smiled softly. "You will stay by me, Blade, just as you always have. You know that."

The guard nodded and bowed. The with a light and joyful heart, he went to commit the atrocious deed.