Book 2: My Lord Saves the Citizens - Chapter 82

Start from the beginning

Theo shook his head as he said, "Youngsters these days." Then he, too, brought on his magic and discharged a blast of roaring fire at the oncoming guards.

Since he had taken Lady Quinn's magical pills, Theo had felt much stronger and more alive than ever. After all, at the age of forty-five, he had thought he had reached the limit as a warrior knight. Not so, however, as he realized he could now do the things he had desired to do but couldn't; he had the strength and ability to annihilate high-tier monsters solo and go against powerful enemies. After all, he was blessed with not only Tigen, the God of Fire, but Arena for health as well as Anir for good fortune and Ridall for learning and education. Not to mention a high affinity with wind as well as ice magic. Indeed, he was sending the latter out now, his circle spitting out ice lances at the oncoming guards running and screaming toward them.

He chuckled as he shook his head. What a foolish lot to be charging into death. The Norsewood soldiers' numbers might be small, but they were mighty, and even more so now that they were armed with not only their strength and fighting prowess, but their newly discovered magic, too. These guards stood no chance.

Indeed, the group lost their lives even before they could get a glimpse of the commander behind the assault, for the soldiers had already sent out their fireballs, burning them alive and killing them on the spot.

At the head, Aldric exited the corridor, followed by Juan, Vincent, Liam, Theo, and the soldiers. They came to the clearing, an enormous field of courtyard that was surrounded by flanking walls of the mountain, and across were the entrances and exits of mining caves. Stairs, made of wood as well as carved from the earth of the mountain itself, rose from the ground up five or six floors above and connected via bridges that crisscrossed one side to the other. All around were guards, hundreds of them, their armor on and weapons out, and they rushed about, shouting, "Intruders! Intruders!" as the bells continued to ring, echoing ear-piercingly loud across the space.

Aldric scanned his surroundings, his eyes sharp and his senses alert, taking in every minute detail as was his habit during a battle. He shifted his gaze up to a man standing on the fifth floor on a bridge, and he instinctively knew the bastard was the commander of this fort.

Releasing murderous aura, he gazed hard at the man who was undoubtedly a noble with a blessing. He raised his sword in the air and pointed at the bastard whom he could sense was sneering down at him from the great height. Suddenly, the man barked out orders, pointing down at Aldric, "Kill him! Kill him! He's the leader. He's Aldric Templeton! Kill Aldric Templeton!"

So you know me, Aldric thought and knew all this was more than met the eye. He knew the bastard was more than met the eye. He turned to his men and shouted, "Brace yourself. You have my permission to use whatever means to kill. Not one of these bastards is allowed to escape alive."

The war cry came, hundreds of guards charging with their weapons out in front of them. They were leering and sneering and grinning, knowing their complete and utter victory, for their numbers were large, more than five hundred against a miserly fifty. Their sense of conquest, however, didn't last long when Aldric summoned his magic and took out his lightning whip. If the glow and turn of the ancient magic circle didn't faze and terrified them, then the whip surely did as he lashed it out, sending sparks of lightning across the distance, zapping one man after another consecutively and quickly at the speed of light, killing them instantaneously.

Vincent brought out his electric bow and arrow next, shooting across the distance, blasting a bunch at the back, burning them to death. Theo sent out his flame, an inferno hell of fire that burned about twenty dead within a few minutes. When Liam summoned his circle and spit out his fireballs, screams of fear and terror were already loud and echoing across the place, with some running for their lives.